1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2011 duramax

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by jseitz, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jseitz

jseitz TS Member

I'm looking at buying a 2011 Duramax. Has anyone had any issues with these new 2011 LML engines?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You said the word i'd be most scared of. "NEW" I try never to buy a new model vehicle. Give them a couple years to let them fix the unforseens that always accompany a new model. I know the Duramax itself has been out for quite awhile but the motor has changed.

I would fear the new Ford motor more but thats another arguement.

3. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

I would fear buying anything that is propped up by government funds but that too is another story.lol

4. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

bad,

Would that include the food you eat?LOL

Duramax has a good track record. Ford?, thats another story. The people behind Duramax know what they are doing. They are guaranteed right?

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Are they really new? or is it just another tweak and marketing for a proven engine?

I have a duramax 2005- great engine in a great truck

regards from Iowa

Gene

6. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Duramax good track record? What planet are you from? Odviously you are not around the repair industry much. Bill

7. high 2

high 2 Member

I`ve got a 09 3500 dually to pull my 5th wheel with. I did have a small oil leak that one GM dealer couldn`t seem to fix. Finally found a tubo housing had cracked. GM replaced the complete turbo. That`s the only problem I`ve had with it with 36,000 miles on it. I did look at the Fords and found every dealership and salesman to be as useful as tits on a boar. I did a bunch of research on the net and found page after page of cooling complaints on Fords that warranty didn`t want to fix. Hack on GM all you want, and I`ll wave as I pass you. Larry

8. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

I can understand your jubilation if you have 36000 miles on a GM product with only replacing a turbo.lol

9. high 2

high 2 Member

That`s what I would expect you to say.

10. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

The transmission alone would be enough to steer me towards a GM. If they would only put the Allison behind a Cummings, wow!

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Have a couple friends with the Duramax and they love them. I see more Chevys & GMCs towing large 5th wheelers than any other brand. My brother switched to Dodge with the (I think) Cummins & so far has had good luck, he pulls a 32' 5th wheeler. Ross Puls

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There was a traffic jam on a main street (Bell Road) the other day, it was a brand new GMC Dually blocking two lanes and sitting in a flood of oil right in the middle of the street and smoke was coming from every where ... There had to be 5 gallon or more of oil on the street right at the dealers driveway, they must of been going for a test drive and made it that far before all hell broke loose, nice looking truck though ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

DuraMax motor is made by Isuzu,not a slam,just info.
    Jim

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Bill--A blown turbo will spew oil as you described. I have had more than my share of turbo issues in big trucks. I've had 3/4 of my oil pump out before i could get it shut down. Thats a rig that holds 12 gallons. It was a mess to say the least. We drove Mack trucks for years. They were built tough but literally ate turbos.

15. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I am on my second Chevy HD with the Duramax and Allison trans. I first bought a 2003 and then bought another, a 2006 LBZ. I sold my first truck to my best friend and he sold his 2001 Chevy Duramax to his father-in-law. The only trouble with any of these three trucks was with the 2003 that I sold him. About a year or two later with around 125,000 miles he had to have the injectors replaced. Chevy did that for almost nothing, less than $500.00 I believe. Also my son-in-law has a GMC Duramax and he loves his.

My 06 was purchased because I didn't want a truck with the regen system. I believe around 08 all the big three went to the regenerating system. However in 2010 I believe, 2011 for sure, they replaced that system with the urea injection system, like on the Mercedes Benz diesels. This is a good system.

You should look up the test of the new 2011 Ford and Chevy diesels that was in the Diesel Power magazine, I think it was around the January issue. The Chevy Duramax/Allison beat the Ford in every catagory, especally the down hill towing test. But also the power was much better, as well as the fuel mileage.

Pete Martin, from Vernal, Utah told me that he had nothing but trouble with the Power Stroke diesels from Ford, and switched over his entire fleet, except for one older 7.3 Ford that he kept, to the Chevy/GMC Duramax/Allison trucks and loves them. I believe he told me he has 30 of them.

Buy it you won't be sorry. And you don't have to remove the cab from the frame when you want to do some repairs like you have to do on the Ford. I live at 5,000 here in Arizona, I see more Fords overheating climbing the last 1,500 ft than any other truck, BY FAR.

Tom Strunk

16. high 2

high 2 Member

Well said Tom, and there you go BAD303

17. shadow

shadow Active Member

Go with the Dodge/Cummins ! I have no use for a cast iron block with aluminum heads ! Just ASKING for problems.

18. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Well shadow you might think the aluminum head is asking for problems, BUT all my examples have none.

Also for your information, the issue of Diesel Power magazine I mentioned also stated that the Dodge/Cummins did not make a truck with a automatic transmission that would tow the weight that they were going to tow for this test in the steepest mountains in Colorado. Ford and Chevy do. All the Dodge commerials that state how much towing weight a Dodge/Cummins can tow are with the stick shift, not automatic. Go to chevy.com/hdhd for a real eye openings set of videos.

The common opinion about the Dodge/Cummins is that they are a great engine, BUT, the chassis and cab are not as good as Chevy/GMC and Ford. I have not seen a Dodge/Cummins or Chevy/GMC overheat climbing our mountains here, But Ford, quite a few.

PS -- Just remembered, I did see one Chevy/Duramax overheat. I pulled over to see if I could help and he had somehow lost his radiator cap, which caused the overheating.

Tom Strunk

19. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I've driven diesels since Ford put them in their first ones in 83, it was a 6.9 pretty doggy, til I put in a Banks waste gated turbo, then it would tear out the tranny

Have two 7.3's good engine, one has over 230,000 with no problems

Have friends that have Dodge Cummins, good engine they love them but their calculator is bent or something they always tell me how great the mileage is until we pull side by side, then somehow it comes down to about the same as my Fords

Also have friends with Duramax's they seem to love them too

Seems everybody likes what they have best, go figure, but myself, I wouldn't waste the money on another diesel engine, I used to drive them when they first came out because with my tool pouch and ability I could make them run or figure them out pretty easily

But I sold one of my old John Deere's to a buddy of mine, along with a gooseneck trailer I seldom used, I'm in Texas and he's in Iowa, he said he was going to pull it home with his 1/2 ton Chevy, told he was nuts, it would never do it, the tractor was an 830, diesel one of the old two cylinders, about 500 CI in two holes, and weighed about 9500 lbs with the trailer it was about 15,000 lbs. He had installed air bags, and an over sized transmission cooler.

After we got everything loaded, I went with him for a ops check, it did amazing well. He made it back with no problems, the power was good, and he got between 10-12 MPG, but he said there were some hills that he ws getting about 3 MPG according to the onboard meter I don't know how many liter the engine was, we're old school and he told me it was a new 327, I was totally impressed

But there will never be a payback for the upcharge for the diesel, plus the 20-25% screwing you get on the fuel, unless you put on a hell of alot of miles pulling some huge loads that the truck was never designed to go, like my friend did

And besides they male them so quiet now you don't even get the diesel rattle, prettiest sound there used to be

They have come light years in the last few years with gas engines, JMHO

20. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Now in MHO...If you took the Ford truck with a cummin's engine and the Allison tranny, you would have a great truck....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.