1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2011 Duramax

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by smokedapair, Nov 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smokedapair

smokedapair TS Member

Have a 09 3500 with 60k miles been great so far

2. Lostintheozone

Lostintheozone Member

I have a 2007 2500HD with 50K. Not sure about the new ones. Lots more emissions garbage to maintain. Some issues with seat motor and doors. Nothing major though. Drive train is bullet proof.

3. Joen

Joen Member

If you live in cold weather remember to change the fuel filters on a 2009 you have to remove the right front tire. Very convenant when it is 0 and you get bad fuel

4. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Salesman told me today that a 2011 was getting 23mpg. with 395 hspr and 735 ft lbs. My '08 dually won't get 15 empty. The mechanic told me there was a kit for a fuel filter back by the tank and would extend the life of the one that the inner fender had to be pulled. I am looking at a Banks system presently to help the mileage but you can buy a bunch of fuel for $2000.00 for the kit, or $15000.00 for a new truck.........merlyn

5. Chadshot

Chadshot Member

I was able to change my fuel filter by reaching up through the inner fender well by bending it out and propping it open with a 2x4. Not the best way but it only took about 10 minutes to change, sure beats the $130 from the dealer.

6. high 2

high 2 Member

Key words are "the SALESMAN said". I`ve got 09 3500 with 30,000 miles and getting about 17.5 on the highway. Would love to see 23mpg. It pulls my 38' Montana great.

7. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

My neighbor has two GMC duramax trucks. His 05 gets 24 mpg but the 10 only does 17. I change his oil and have looked at them from the bottom, looks like the newer one has some sort of afterburner setup on it. WTF?

8. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

I can get 23 mpg with my 03, but I have a juice edge chip. I get 15-18 pulling a 24 ft. enclclosed trailer loaded with 25 sporting throwers.

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Unless you pull alot of very heavy loads, you don't need the Duramax. I have a 2010 6L 2500HD Z71 Gas and I pull uniloaders and other medium equipment to job sites, and pull my 32' camper to the shoots with a Golf cart in the bed. No problem.

The added cost of the Duramax, deisel fuel, and maintenance (oil changes are 2 times that of a gas) made me go back to the gas. And I can find a fuel station anywhere. I get 16 mpg average.

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

Diesels will give you more towing capacity. Think about that before you decide.

I had to go with an F350 dually as I needed close to 18k lbs toeing capacity for the 5th wheel. I would rate my truck "adequate". Definitely NOT to much truck.

Where you drive matters too. Kentucky and Tennessee will differ from Ohio and Michigan.

I know an ex-GM employee who drives a Duramax and wishes he had gone with a Ford.

Don Verna

11. Chadshot

Chadshot Member

I get 20 MPG with my stock 09 Duramax, towing approx 12-14.

12. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

I too would like to hear something good or bad about the new duramax with all the emissions. I have an "09" but
    I thinking about a new one but would like to hear from someone who has one!
    Rooferbob!

13. rocktire

rocktire Member

my 94 6.5TD is getting about 17mpg and don't owe me a dime with 210,000miles on it. I would sure love to own a new duramax, but can't afford it and don't need it.

14. merlynstrapguns

Drove a 2010 6.0 1-ton from Chicago to Warrenton today. 12+/-mpg and had adequate power empty with 4.10s. Nothing comparred to the Diesel in the power dept. That said, the new ones are urea-injected and filter sensitive as are any new emissions-friendly pickups thus driving up the costs and potential problems. 07s are the last of the "smokers" and will run indefinitely with minimal maintance. 08s/09s/early 10s dump raw fuel into the converters to "clean" them. The urea is a seperate injector and fluid that does basically the same thing only costs more.

A Diesel technician friend told me that the best thing to do with the newer ones is to buy the fuel and drive them. Chiping/reprograming/modifing in any manner leaves a "track" and WILL void the warranty.PERIOD. Until you reach the end of the warranty, you are gambling with expenses that can be teriffic.

I think I will drive it as-is. I can buy a lot of fuel for a minor repair cost........LOL.........merlyn

15. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

BUY A FORD

16. merlynstrapguns

The 6.0s had tow hooks on them for good reason. We have had to buy Fords for ambulances for the 26 years that I have been on the BOD of directors of the Warren Co. Ambulance district. We were notified when the 6.0s were coming out to buy up all the 7.3s we could find. What a great piece of advice!! When we were forced to buy some 6.0s, NONE made it to the millage warranty before the 5-year warranty ran out. They spent so much time broke-down. Ford has been good about extending our warranty's, BUT ONLY AFTER MUCH DISCUSSION and threats of legal action. (it is not a good sign when the ambulance that is taking YOUR emergency to the hospital is on the end of a TOW TRUCK !!)

That said and documented, the new 6.4s(?) have done much better, but we have not crossed the 50,000 mile marker and time will tell for sure. Now Ford has once again offered a new engine with even more HP and torque -- we'll see about that with the first 2 on order.

The reasoning behind the 350/450 chassis is that in the rural areas, we cannot bridge the heavier units or get into many "tight" places. And we can buy 2 smaller uni5ts for the price of one 1 1/2 ton units that do the same job. Buy a Ford by choice, good or bad. Check with a Diesel Technician who has NO horse in this race and will be truthful. You and I both, may be surprised at the answer...m....ps.just my thought, would be a Cummins with an Allison in a Chevy with a Ford frame and suspension for the perfect truck -- and thats going to happen..........lol

17. adler3200

adler3200 TS Member

i have 2011 3500 single wheel awesome power 20+ mpg

18. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Thanks alder. Any issues with the emissions system or do you lose power during the clean out mode? And how often does it go to this mode. How often do you have to add fluid to emissions tank and cost of this?

19. kenf

kenf Active Member

Before you buy, make a comparison between front end parts on a super duty and duramax hd. It is very surprising how much more metal ford puts front end parts- not to mention u-joints vs. cv axles for 4wd. Don't bother looking at the Dodges- they are notorious front end eaters.

The 6.0 Powerstroke wasn't a bad engine- both my brother and I own one now. There was too much squabbling between Ford and International as to how to and how much to fix- one problem would be brought in for warranty and fixed, but that problem would cause another that wouldn't show up right away and you guessed it, would eventually show up and require another shop visit. Like leaking EGR coolers causing gas pockets in the cooling system that would cause head gasket failure/head warping. Remember, the 6.0 pretty much pioneered emissions on a diesel.

Word on the street is the new 6.7 was released into industry for two years to be beat on and abused and has came through with flying colors. And the recall going on now is to turn the engines up on those first bought- Ford and GM are in a horsepower war again.

20. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Buy a Ford....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.