1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2011 ATA President?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by David J Comroe, Jul 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David J Comroe

David J Comroe Active Member

With the recent and untimely passing of Mr. John Hiter, I was wondering who will become the next President and lead the ATA through this latest round of controversy? Mr. Hiter, a man whom I did not know but have heard good things about, was next to assume the ATA presidency based on the practice of zone 'round-robin' unanimous elections by the BoD.

Would the presidency fall to the next most senior VP? Will the newly elected Southern Zone VP fill the spot in the rotation and immediately be named President? Is there another possible outcome? I believe the bylaws prevent the sitting President from being elected a 2nd time.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

A similar, but not identical, situation happened several years ago. The Past President assumed the duties of the President but he was officially not the President. The ATA President does not have any more or less authority than any other member of the EC.

Pat Ireland

3. David J Comroe

David J Comroe Active Member

Mr. Ireland,

If you are referring to Tom Acklin passing during his last few weeks as ATA President I would be curious how you think the two situations are similar.

Also, do you truly believe that the ATA President does not have any more defacto authority than the rest of the VP's?

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

David- I absolutely know that the ATA President does not have any more authority than the other EC members and possibly has less. The other members will remain on the EC for a few years. The President is on his way out. All decisions are made by the EC, the President has no authority to act alone.

In 1992, Gene Anastasio suffered a major medical problem about one month before he was scheduled to take the ATA President position. He was not able to physically serve as ATA President. Gene was elected to the position of ATA President and it was recognized that he would not be able to leave his bed. Terry Boggs (1991 ATA President) assumed the duties that Gene would have normally fulfilled. Terry Boggs and I were close friends.

Pat Ireland

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The Bylaws dictate if the Pres has more authority. Normally he or she would determine a tie vote

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

cubancigar2000- Your statement about the ATA By-Laws is not correct. The EC has five members including the President. The President has one vote as a member of the EC. It is possible to have a tie vote with one abstention, and if the votes on any motion result in a tie, the motion fails.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.