1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2011 ALASKA STATE SHOOT PACKAGES AVAILABLE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jeff P, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

We have our cruise package...ads will be in Trap and Field and Trapshooting USA all winter long, plus there should be a banner ad on this site very soon.

I have an email from the cruise folks that I can forward to interested folks, just change the AT to @ and drop the XX's.

The package in the ad is suggested, or representative...I believe they can do just about anything you want. Folks can call for details and see what they can do....

Jeff

2. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

I here the Queen Mary II is going to make a stop at the Knik River Bridge to let passengers off for the shoot.

3. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

4. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I will be out of the office Monday and Tuesday...so if you need info, you'll get it Wednesday.

I did hear from the cruise line we had one couple signed up already....

5. otnot

otnot Active Member

The above link will take you to the US travel website for more information.

Jim

6. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

TTT for Jeff

I have a friend who traveled the world. He stated to me that all good people should go on an Alaskan cruise...at least once before they die. One of these days, good Lord willing!

milt

7. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

ALL ABOARD...........for the AK State Shoot!!!!

8. JGS

JGS Member

What are the procedures, if any, for taking your shotgun on the cruise? Just wondering about the Canadian portion of the trip. Thanks.

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

JGS...

That's why we set it up like we have. We've targeted a cruise that's after the shoot....

that way, you fly up here with your gun, shoot, and then mail it home to a buddy, your club, your local gunshop, whoever you can get and then cruise home and pick it up.

Trying to do it the other way around didn't seem like it was going to work very well. The cruise lines won't let the guns on the ship, and then there is the Canadian portion to hassle with. This just seemed like the easiest way out.

this is the first year we've tried this...I'm sure we'll be making some tweaks going forward.

10. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

all the folks who sent me info requests have been responded to, except for one that kicked back because his email wouldn't accept the hyperlink, and I emailed him directly for another email.

seems like we have two reservations already....so say the cruise folks.

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Just a note of caution...

A Denali Park tour is 7-8 hours on an old tour bus: narrow seats, 4 hours in, 4 hours out, rain or shine, 98% on dirt/stone roads, no guard rails, no parachutes, no smoking, no A/C, a couple of stretch stops each way, one box lunch. Maybe see wildlife; definitely see scenery. Plan accordingly.

MK

12. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

to give the other side of MK's story....

Yeah, its a full day. We're talking about a part the size of CONNECTICUT with but a single road through it. it takes a while to see. I've lived here a lotta years, been to the park 6, 7 times. No guardrails on polychrome pass, true...once you see it, you'll know why they call it polychrome. Fantastic. don't know why you'd worry about guardrails though....it not like we kill a busload of tourists every week.

I've never seen less than 9 grizzlies in the park. Always see moose, caribou, sheep, saw a wolf twice. Saw a sow with two cubs stalk a caribou. Maybe I'm lucky.

There are two tours....one on the fancy tour buses, and one operated by the park service. the park service bus is more a shuttle to and from various places - it runs on a schedule - but the drivers will stop and let you take pictures of the animals that are close to the road - then you have to go, or you'll never get through it.

We always take a 12 pack cooler full of snacks, drinks, sandwiches. I've never had anything less than a great day.

Mt. McKinley is spectactular...no question about that. It's so big, we can see it in the background from the gun club in Anchorage. And that's over 180 miles away.

You take a day trip to Denali and look me in the eye and tell me you hated it, I'll buy you a beer.

13. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

http://www.ustravel.us.com/vacation-travel/cruises/group-cruise-for-alaska-state-skeet-shoot/

Whoops - is this for the trapshoot? Might want to clarify.

The tour bus through the Park is one of the most spectacular days I ever spent. The bus driver was a retired school teacher who pointed out all the animals and special sites along the way and stopped so we could watch and take pics. The mountain was clear of clouds and visible which was a plus. My wife tipped the driver very generously when we departed the tour.

14. gundog

gundog TS Member

Wanted to book this but found out that its totally seperate from the state shoot. Sounds like a good trip but no way connected to the State Shoot.

15. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

no....its totally connected to the state shoot. Well, in the sense that you call them, book airfare, hotel, fishing, rental car, whatever you want, and right after the state shoot they're going to bus you to the hotel that is the 'first' day of the 'package'....they have a couple days planned, then you sail home.

They're not sponsoring the shoot, but we've met with them and they're working to tie the trip in with the cruise - to the point where we're talking about having a Princess bus pick you up on Sunday after the shoot is over.

Pulldude, PM me your email, I'll email you the copy of the ad / information from Princess.

16. pedagogue

pedagogue Member

what is the date of the actual shoot in 2011?
    jack

17. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

July 13-17, wednesday to sunday.

Concurrent and telephonic with the western zone - so you can get zone trophies and all american points.

the cruise departs from Whittier, about 40 miles from Anchorage and about 70 miles from the shoot, on Wednesday july 20th.

At some point on Sunday, after the shoot, the plan they have is that you catch up with Princess (they're considering sending a bus to the shoot) and they take you to Talkeetna - about 100 miles or so north - and you spend a couple days in Denali. Wednesday morning, you head south to the ship.

I fished out of Whittier last Monday and saw the actual ship that will be here that day, it looks like a helluva big boat. I've never cruised, though.

18. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

Jeff can you shoot Trap off the fantail?

19. Don S

Don S Member

20. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

>> I have a friend who traveled the world. He stated to me that all good people should go on an Alaskan cruise...at least once before they die. One of these days, good Lord willing!

Even if you're not going on the cruise, at least go to the state shoot and stay for a vacation.

Alaska_076.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.