1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2011 ALASKA STATE SHOOT CRUISE UPDATE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jeff P, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

We had a very productive meeting with Princess Cruises and Doug Fox Travel and Cruise today.

The long and short of it amounts to the fact that the Alaska ATA has arranged with Princess and Doug Fox to have a cruise package available for our 2011 state shoot - July 13-17, 2011.

Ads and information are coming - probably in the October issue of Trap and Field - but shooters will be able to call a single 800 number and book every aspect of the trip - airfare from wherever you're coming from up to Anchorage, Denali tours, glacier cruises, fishing, flightseeing, hotels, the cruise, airfare home, the whole bit - with one phone call. That information will be forwarded to the Alaska ATA, and we'll provide you information about the shoot.

Prices are still being worked out, but there will be some early booking incentives when we get the ball rolling. Ads are being created ASAP and will be out - we'll have them here too.

We look forward to providing more information as we get into fall. Comments / questions welcome...I'll answer as many as I can.

Jeff Pokorny
    (past) Alaska ATA President

2. otnot

otnot Active Member

Good job Jeff! Now if you could just give me a 800 number to call for some sunshine. What has it been 31 days straight without some rain? I think you used it all up at the state shoot.

Jim

3. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

TTT...

Jim, come on now, we haven't shot in the rain for TWO whole years at the state shoot. And its supposed to be really nice this weekend - for the first time in over a month, I grant you.

4. daptrap

daptrap Member

Is the cruise departing from L.A., Seattle or Vancouver?

5. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I should have said that originally....

the cruise departs Whittier, AK and ends up in Vancouver, then fly home from there. The cruise departs two days after the shoot ends, so there's a couple days for fishing, going to Denali, whatever you desire. So the basic itinerary is fly up here, shoot, cruise home.

The whole package is totally open - which I think is the best part. Other than the ship departing Whittier on the 20th of July, everything else is open. You can come up as early as you want, see as much as you want, shoot as much as you want and then cruise home.

Or you can come up as late as you want, see a little bit, shoot only the weekend, spend a couple days then cruise home.

we have a lot of folks that are just here on vacation and come out to the club. Some borrow a gun and shoot a practice round, just to say they've shot in Alaska. Some shoot one event in the state shoot and call it good....some shoot the whole damn thing.

Doug Fox travel is going to be able to hook you up with as many or as few side trips as you want, the hotel, car, flights, trains, glacier trips, whatever. The Alaska ATA will provide information about the shoot, recommendations for fishing guides - hell, YUKONJACK222 will probably take you fishing if you ask him nice and buy him a bottle of his namesake - restaurants, things to do, whatever you need.

We've been lucky enough to have close to 70 folks come up from out of state the last few years....if you know someone that did, talk to them. We run a first class shoot and we have a lot of fun.

6. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I've noticed that the last couple of years you've run the State Shoot in conjunction with the Western Zone. Is that the plan again for 2011?

7. BillJ

BillJ Member

I assume a person would have to ship the guns home vs taking aboard ship?

8. otnot

otnot Active Member

Yes you will have to ship your guns home. I think it has something to do with passing through Canadian waters.

Jim

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Yes, we'll be in conjunction with the Zone again next year....

And yes, the reason we've targeted the specific dates for the cruise that we have is that you can fly up with your gun, shoot, then mail it home to a buddy or your local gun shop and pick it up when you get there. Can't have guns on the ship...and even if you did / could...you're landing in Vancouver, so you have Canadian issues to resolve.

We figured it would be easiest to do it this way, our first year. We PLAN to have this as an annual event, and we can change/improve things as we go...if we find out a different cruise is easier, we can switch next year.

I've had plenty of folks mail me trap guns in the past four years and would be willing to so assist shooters again. Depending on the response, of course. I don't figure to have a couple hundred ljutics or Perazzis in my basement...but folks send me their gun, I hold it until they show up at the shoot. It just sits alongside all my guns. So I hold it until you show, you shoot, then you can mail it home.

jeff

10. otnot

otnot Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.