1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2010 Idaho State Shoot Questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jennifer, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Can anybody answer a few questions about the ID state shoot at the Boise Gun Club in 2010?

1. What is the minimum target amount needed to shoot from one's actual yardage and in one's actual class, for men and women?

2. When do the minimum targets start accruing (i.e. new target year or in Jan)?

3. What is the penalty yardage and class if minimum targets are NOT acquired, for men and women?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I haven't shot any ATA targets in a few years and I have some friends who recently learned the sport and are interested in the state shoot.

Thanks, and good shooting! Jennifer, HSB

2. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Anybody?

3. Lyle

Lyle Member

Jen,
    I will see if I can find a program and let you know. I do know that the new target year starts now and those targets count toward the state shoot next Memorial weekend.

Lyle

4. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Roger that, thanks for checking!

5. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Jennifer,

I'm in Santa Cruz right now, and won't be home until next week. I'll check the 2009 program then and let you know what it says for sure. That being said, my recollection is that penalty yardage/class for adult males is not all that onerous, and for women/subjuniors hardly worth worrying about. Also in the past when I was on the Board and the State Shoot was in Boise, I got into it with the then President for not even enforcing what the program stated for women. I classified several according to the programs guidelines - she said they were just "guidelines" and overruled me, letting them shoot class D and their ATA yardage (19), even though they had no registered targets in the required period at all. She is no longer on the Board, and I am, but I'd suggest you shouldn't worry too much about penalty class or yardage. It won't be much for you even if enforced. Just come on down and enjoy the shoot. Also you'll have some opportunity to register targets yet this fall, and even more in the spring, before the State Shoot.

6. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Hey Pocatello, good timing, I was just checking the site before shutting down the computer for the night.

I'm sorry to hear that the rules were bent/ignored, that's not fair to the other shooters.

I'm mostly interested in finding out for the male newbies at our club, whether it would be worth it to try to accumulate the minimum targets (if the minimum is high), or just shoot the penalty yardage in the 'caps, and if so, what yardage is it so they can spend the winter practicing from it.

I really appreciate you checking it out when you get the time to! Have a good trip!

Jennifer

7. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

8. Lyle

Lyle Member

Jen,
    I have been unable to locate my old program. If memory serves me correctly the penalty yardage is 22yards. Don't hold me to it.
    I think Stu is still on the board so I will ask him next time I see him.
    Lyle

9. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Jen, it slipped my mind while on the trip. I just saw your post again, and happened to have the 2009 program within reach. It says:

PENALTY YARDAGE AND CLASSIFICATION

The handicap committee may assign a MINIMUM of 24 yards and Class A Singles and Class A Doubles to any shooter who does not have an established shooting history or the shooter may shoot for targets and trophies only. Any shooting history may be used to establish classification and yardage for shooting targets and trophies only. In all cases, known ability will have a strong bearing on classification. A shooter belonging to another shooting association will be required to shoot form (sic) his or her longest yardage.

End quote.

I must say that this is one of the most bizarre penalty yardage statements I've ever read. Most such policies allow a shooter to shoot for TARGETS only without penalty. The first line here seems to indicate that option money is the prime driver of this policy, and trophies aren't a concern, but then the next statement contradicts that. Also, every time I've been involved in Idaho State Shoot classification penalty classification/yardage was pretty much ignored for vets, women, and juniors/subjuniors. I guess the "may assign" wording covers that though.

Again, if you and your friends can't get some registered targets in before the shoot, at least try to get some documentation of league scores or the like.

10. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Thanks Pocatello, I appreciate it. We just got back from the Salmon area today. How many targets do you suggest they shoot to avoid the penalty?

Thanks again! Jen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.