1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2009 SCTP National Championships shoot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Trapshooter-Mom, Sep 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trapshooter-Mom

Trapshooter-Mom TS Member

Has anyone heard of the location for the 2009 SCTP National Trap Shoot. This past year was in Sparta but I've heard that it may be in Ohio for 2009.

2. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Interesting, I hadn't heard that. Why would it not be in Sparta?

3. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

I can not immagine anyone considering any other place! Where else can they get the opportunity to be at the Grand and their SCTP shoot at the same time? The vendors are at Sparta and the facility to handle them is at Sparta. Why consider any place else? They get to have the place for a few days and can shoot trap, skeet, and sporting clays at a world class facility. I like seeing all of the young shooters there. I know when I retire from shooting there will be a great bunch of younger shooters to take my spot.

See all of you at Sparta.
    CA

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

They are not married to the facility.

If other large clubs can handle the traffic, better to move it about the country in order to gain more media exposure for the program.

5. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

How many shooters again?

1600+

There's only one facility that can handle the shoot logistics - WSRC.

We went through this last year - keep it attached to the Grand, it's a win-win for all involved.

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Would be a bummer for the SCTP kids/parents/coaches to shoot one place, then travel hours to shoot at Sparta.

7. trapdaddy

trapdaddy TS Member

Due to management change I do not anticipate an announcement until late fall at the earliest.
    SCTP management will be moving out from under the NSSF to a Scholastic Foundation,
    headed by Dr. Bill Christy who was instrumental in the formation of SCTP in 2001.
    This has the potential to be very beneficial to SCTP and the ATA. Bill Christy went out of his way to welcome me into the ATA fold in 2001 and at my first grand.

Trapshooter Mom- look on the web www.nssf.org/SCTP for the link to the new foundation. Also, your state director should be one of the first to know. The contact for him can be found on the above website also. Check the links on the left side of the page.

8. trapdaddy

trapdaddy TS Member

this is a excerpt from the press release on Aug 15, 2008

Transition of the program to the Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation will be accomplished over the next several months. SSSF will become the official administrator of SCTP on Jan. 1, 2009.

For additional information, contact Karen Peterson, director of administrative services, SSSF, 56670 Jewell Rd., Shelby Township, MI 48315. Email: s3f@comcast.net. Tel.: 586-781-8229.

9. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

So are there two SCTP groups now?

FRedmon

10. tachyon

tachyon Member

ffwildat, There are numerous sites that can handle the SCTP numbers. The Nebraska High School State Shoot (Cornhusker Nationals) sponsored by Nebraska Game and Parks has about 1,700 students participating at the range in Doniphan Nebraska. There are a lot of places which could hold this shoot.

This year the SCTP shoot was before the Grand and was not part of the Grand. The ATA provides volunteer help to the shoot. The program has gone through many iterations.. part of the Grand, before the Grand, two day, one day, open qualification, restricted participation etc. etc. There are cogent arguments for keeping the SCTP at Sparta and as a preliminary event to the Grand and there are arguments for making the event special in its own right, where it is something other than an sideshow to the main event.

11. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Needs to be just as it was this year. Nuf said.

12. buster's mom

buster's mom Member

With the distance alot of the teams travel to attend, the one substitution rule needs to be addressed. Many of the kids want to go once they qualify at their state shoots, but do to family hardships, they end up letting their squads down when they are unable to attend. A coach should have some discretion to re-build the squad in the event of another shooters absence. We had 11 kids that were able to go, but we didn't have a squad of five that shot together at the state. We sent 5 squads in 2007 and with the 2008 rule change, we sent 0 this year.

It would be wishful thinking if they rotated the venue, but not very practical.

13. WesleyB

Ya, I agree with busters mom on the squads.

14. trapdaddy

trapdaddy TS Member

FRedmon, No SCTP will remain one organization.
    I have included the press release below to eliminate any misunderstanding.

I, also, agree with others that the rigidity of squadding is detrimental.
    I will take it a step further and say younger shooters should be allowed to "shoot-up" to an older category to make a squad, eg. junior varsity can shoot-up on a varsity squad.

I am expectant that under Bill Christy's leadership the concerns raised, including location, will be addressed adequately. Drop him a line and let him know in case he does not see this thread.

SCTP is a good program and can get even better.

To: ALL MEDIA
    For immediate release

August 15, 2008

For more information contact:

Karen Peterson
    Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation
    586-781-8229

National Shooting Sports Foundation Passes Torch
    of Popular Youth Program to New Foundation

NEWTOWN, Conn. -- In terms of sheer numbers of participants, the eight-year-old Scholastic Clay Target Program (SCTP) has been the most successful youth-oriented program in National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) history. Nearly 30,000 middle and high school students have participated in the program, which includes trap, skeet and sporting clays competitions.

With SCTP now of a size and scope beyond the NSSF's mission parameters, responsibility for its continuation and development is being passed along to the newly formed Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation (SSSF).

"We are confident that this transfer of responsibility to the SSSF will be in the best interest of the program to serve its youth participants and coaches," commented NSSF President Steve Sanetti. "The Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation has the talent and experience to assure the continued success of this vitally important program. NSSF is proud to now be included as one of many sponsors of SCTP."

The new foundation will be responsible for all aspects of SCTP, including participant registration, coaches, state coordinators, state and national championships, promotion, communications, Web sites, public relations and growth strategies.

SSSF is headed by Dr. Bill Christy, who has extensive experience in the organized youth shooting arena. His involvement in youth shooting dates back to the mid-sixties, when he was one of the founders of the groundbreaking 4-H Shooting Program. Since then, he has taught hundreds of firearms instructors, and coached a number of youth clay target teams. He has also been actively involved as a consultant for SCTP since its inception in 2000.

"SSSF's objective," said Christy, "is to build on the foundation of NSSF's success with SCTP. We will focus on providing a safe and enjoyable experience for developing young people into responsible citizens through the discipline and culture of the shooting sports. With the help of our many dedicated volunteers, we hope to create a new dimension of youth involvement in SCTP that will forever live as the NSSF's legacy."

Transition of the program to the Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation will be accomplished over the next several months. SSSF will become the official administrator of SCTP on Jan. 1, 2009.

15. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

While I don't have a youngster shooting and in that effect "don't have a dog in the fight", I wonder how this will effect youth Trapshooting in general. The rumor on the street ids the "NEW" organization is into sporting clays and cares little for trap. That may or may not be true, but it worries me. Also heard they are trying to get away from REGISTERED targets in SCTP shooting. These may only be rumors, but it was trapshooting that lauched the SCTP program to begin with. I would had to see it take a back seat now that the program is going so well.

16. WesleyB

looks like busters mom is talking about 2 different years. After i read the last part twice it makes sense.

17. buster's mom

buster's mom Member

EE-

We did take this up with the directors of the SCTP at the NSSF. The eleven kids that I referred to were kids that made up 4 different squads from our team. Each of the 4 squads were missing more than the 1 shooter that you were allowed to use as a substitute. So unless we ignored the rule, they were not eligible to compete for any awards. Granted, they still could have gone and shot for fun, but how many families were going to travel over 5oo miles just to see their kids shoot for practice. Answer- Not enough! So hopefully the new organization will review these rules and adjust them accordingly. We talked to many other teams that faced the same issues we faced, and they also agreed that changes needed to be made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.