1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2009 Hunt Stories

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pocatello, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

One type of thread I've most enjoyed in the past is stories from members about their hunts. Let's start another one.

I just got back from my 2009 deer hunt in the White Cloud Mountains in central Idaho. This area ranges in elevation from about 6000' along the East Fork and Main Salmon Rivers to nearly 12000' for the highest peaks, with much of the main hunting areas about 8000' and above. Huntable species in the area include a few Whitetail deer along the river bottoms, Mule deer, Rocky Mountain elk, Shiras Moose, Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Goats, Pronghorn Antelope, Mountain Lions, Black Bear, and wolves. The picture above was taken from about 8000' looking SW towards the highest part of the range. Some of the country is forested, while much of the rest is sage country. Hopefully the next two images show some of the variety:

(Note: I guess I'm not clever enough to figure out how to insert the images in the text, so I'll try adding them afterward).

Again this year I was hunting with White Cloud Outfitters out of Challis, ID. The second day of my hunt dawned cold, with fairly strong winds and intermittent snow. Conditions made it tough to glass for game, as visibility was limited at times to under 100 yards. About mid-afternoon we came into the head of a canyon and spotted a buck bedded in the bottom under a small fir tree, over 800 yards away and about 500' lower in elevation. It was tough to judge his size as the upper part of his antlers were hidden in the branches. There were two possible ways to get closer. The first would leave us in view for at least 200 yards before we could get behind a side ridge, and would approach from his front to within 250 yards. The second would only expose us for about 30 yards, and would allow us to approach to within 150 yards or so from behind, but had the possibility of the wind giving us away. I decided to try the second approach. As we were discussing it, a snow squall came up hiding the deer from us (and us from the deer), and we took off. We quickly got behind the ridge on the right side of the canyon, walked down about half a mile to a finger ridge that came down behind the deer, and climbed down on its back side until we were about at the right elevation. We knew approximately the right group of trees where the buck had been, but moved and glassed carefully until we relocated him, still bedded. After checking him carefully I decided to take him, and moved into position for the shot. He was facing away still looking up the canyon, about 120 yards out. My shot from the sit took him in the back of the ribs on the left side and exited in the middle of the throat. He never moved out of his bed. I was using my Ruger #1 in .280 Remington loaded with 140 grain Nosler partition bullets.

As some of you may remember, late last July I had total replacement surgery on both knees. Before the surgery I had a hard time negotiating even level ground. I'm extremely pleased that I was able to pull off a stalk like this now, in the mountains and snow, with no pain and little trouble. Riding horses presented no problems, although my short legs makes getting on a challenge at times. All in all I'm very glad I had the surgery done, allowing me to enjoy hunting again.

2. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Another part of the White Clouds near where I hunted.

3. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

From our hunting camp. This was the first afternoon of the hunt before the storm front moved in. The deer was taken to the south of this peak, over the ridge on the right side of the picture.

4. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Me with the deer in his bed.

5. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

The deer, my guide Flint, and me.

6. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Wonderful pictures. Very handsome mule deer.

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Enuff to make anyone jelous! Congrats on the great hunt Pokie....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Great buck, awsome country, obviously a wonderful hunt. Congrats on your new knees.

9. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Fantastic...

10. moowho

moowho Member

Heres a book antelope from eastern Montana. I shot this bad boy at 187 yds with a .280 ruger
    [​IMG]

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

This picture was taken last year but we only have 3 more weeks until Opening Day of '09...my daughter and grandson can't wait (Doc's ready too).

More pictures to come.

Curt - Delaware

[​IMG]

12. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Moowho, how about a few details? Are those your boys?

Curt, great haul. One of life's real pleasures is hunting with family. I took my middle son Matt and my wife's nephew Bryce hunting for cow elk in the White Clouds last November - we got three. I'd like to take my youngest son Davy next year for deer if we can swing it - he's getting out of the Air Force within the month, and is looking for a job, but has no definite prospects yet. He shot buck deer and antelope there with me while still in high school. Matt also has taken a couple of antelope in the area years ago.

13. moowho

moowho Member

YesThose are my boys. Will is on the leftand Alex on the rightWill shoa a nice one too. 1 shot with a weatherby .270WSM
    [​IMG]

14. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Others of you must have stories to tell - let's hear some.

I'm headed out this afternoon for cow elk in Idaho's Lemhi range.

15. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Deer season won't happen for us this year, as Coach is home resting after his emergency quadruple bypass. He went from a regular doctor's appointment to a wheelchair whisked to our local ER, to the local hospital for an overnight stay, to an ambulance ride to Mercy in Minneapolis and surgery.

After the angiogram he was told he needed surgery immediately and he said, "Doc, can it wait until Jan 1st or so? It's hunting season!!" The doc's reply was "Uh, buddy, I'm not even letting you leave the hospital!" So the pain and suffering he's enduring right now has more to do with no hunting than a cracked chest.

Here's our best photos from last year. We'll have to live vicariously through y'all. The first is Coach teaching his soon-to-be stepson how to shoot ducks on his hunting land; the second is the deer we took just 200 yards from our duck blind. Gotta love Minnesota.

CSJ

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Ooh, nice buck Calamity.

This might be a good deer season to miss anyway.

Out here there is virtually no corn harvested so the

deer are going to have alot of cover. Will be very tough hunting.

17. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

You're right about the corn, Rick. The pothole we love to shoot ducks is surrounded by 1/3 cattails and 2/3's corn. The water's all the way up into the corn now and I can't see how farmers are going to get it out. It's raining right now, to add insult to injury.

That buck was my first ever, shot on my first deer hunt. Coach posted while his brother and I walked the cattails (being the newbie, I was in the deep tall stuff). Saw antlers moving ahead of me. He wouldn't have gotten up if we hadn't walked right in on him--we were talking loud, laughing and he jumped only 20 yards out of his bed directly in front of me. When you're that close one shot's all you need so I was grateful not to embarrass my coach and took it down right away.

The boys I hunt with were as excited as I was about that deer. Our land, our hunt, so it's our deer. Sausage was dang good too. It was 300lbs (yes, honestly it was) undressed and a beautiful 12 pointer. Gonna be hard to beat!

18. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Just got back from my cow elk hunt - shot one at 7:30 AM this morning. More info with pictures later.

19. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Ok, three weeks ago, eastern Mt. One shot....220 swift, neck shot at just under 200 yards.
    Biggest buck we saw. Had 7 down before the day was over opening day.

shoot well and have fun.
    [​IMG]

20. samiam03

samiam03 Member

Geez guys - I had to slap a 8 pt on the rump to get him out of my driveway so I could park my car; and I'm just 1.5 miles from the White House

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.