1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2009 Grand Week Participation Was Up

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by recurvyarcher, Aug 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

History was made. It was good to be there for it.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Total entrys for all 23 events was 27,831. Don't know how that compares to previous years.

Eric

3. DuckDog

DuckDog Active Member

Mixer,

Total entries for the entire event were down by approximately 10.8%. The 159 entries in the C.o.C. event do not figure in the total. Grand week entries were up by 1.68%. Six of the Grand week events were down but the remaining two were up enough to overcome the shortfall and put the Grand week in the black! Moving the Championship doubles off of Saturday had a very positive effect on entries. Moving the G.A.H. to Saturday lost a few shooters in the G.A.H. itself, but gained a great deal for the handicap that was previously held on Saturday. I would say the schedule tweaks made by the ATA were correct and had a positive impact.

Don

4. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

you know-its funny--i havent seen any post on the AIM program!!
    how was their attendance?
    what was done to welcome them to the grand or make them feel like coming back, other than the 2 day 200 rock event- to increase weeklong attendance?!

from the vendors standpoint- when were their big days for sales?
    in other words- how important will the aim efforts be to total attendance longterm? may be too early to tell!!

5. Mike

Mike Member

Don, thanks for the post, your information is always credible. Mik

6. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Acss,

Here you go. check out the Aim web page

http://www.shootata.com/aim/pdfs/results/09AIMGCResults.pdf

Dennis

7. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

thanks-- altho i'm still wondering why no post on the forum? happy shooting

8. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Participation is up--are you guys kidding? Last time my son was in the shoot off in the preliminary handicap there were over 3700 entries in that event alone. Sparta will NEVER see that kind of attendance. And from what I heard most of the vendors were not happy!

You guys need a real reality check! Phil S.

9. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Phil must be from Ohio.

Is it possible that maybe there could be something positive to say?

10. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

First question---Colorado. Second question--from where I see things---uh NO!

11. John55

John55 Active Member

I HOPE that someday in the future a Grand event will see 3700 entries, but I doubt it will ever happen again. Too many things working against it these days, and it was dropping long before the move to Sparta. The vendors will likely never be completely happy but it's likely they had better years than this year's event. In this economy most folks don't have a lot of dollars left after paying for all of the shooting, lodging and other essentials. It will get better but not overnight. Vandalia wasn't the mecca it became after the first 4 years so give the new place a chance.

12. shootover

shootover TS Member

Walnutmaker: Be very careful or you will invoke the wrath of "BIGDON" The official butt kisser of the ATA and resident authority on everything!! Most people can see the difference in Vandalia and Sparta but refuse to admit who benefited the most, the members, or the top row of officials. I hope everyone who goes to Sparta enjoys themself. But remember the BEST is gone. So enjoy second place

shootover

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Shootover---Did you mean second place or the only place. Someone forgot to tell you Vandalia doesn't even exist anymore as a trap facility but you little crybaby's can go gather there and hold hands and weep together while the rest of us shoot at a world class trap facility.----Matt

14. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I was at Sparta and I had a great time. Is it perfect? NO, but it is the home of the Grand and it looks like to me it will be the home grounds for many years. I do have suggestions for the ATA and the WSRC management to make the shoot even better.

1. I believe you are going to have to make it better for the vendors, increase their traffic and lower their rates. Part of the reason many come to the Grand is to shop rather than shoot. Many of the traps in front of the vendors were idle earlier in the week.

2. On Sunday, August 9th, many squads shot their doubles in the dark. We need to start earlier and have squadding ready to start handicap as singles are finishing.

3. Vandalia was special but I prefer to shoot in Sparta. Too bad I don't have a camper to escape heat. I had to bring my own shade in Vandalia also.

4. I hope ATA officials are monitoring these threads and continue to improve the Grand American. I know they have a tough job.

5. How about the Butcher Block, great food at reasonable price (unlike Vandalia).

6. How about the homemade ice Cream (none of that in Vandalia).

Charlie Becknell

15. shootover

shootover TS Member

Matt: Second , 1st loser take your pick. We know The "GRAND AMERICAN" is gone and Sparta is always going to be a replacment no matter how big it is. So name call all you want you are a replacment shooter at a replacment facility. No crying just fact. Most of us have moved to better facilities in gun friendly states. Please enjoy your's in Illinois.

Shootover

16. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Shootover -

I constantly hear people talking about gun-unfriendly Illinois. What I would like to know is how that impacted anyone's participation at the Grand? Can you identify anything to do with Illinois law/politics that prevents/makes difficult someone's participation at the Grand?

Scott

17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Illinois is so gun unfriendly that they built a 53 million dollar SHOOTING facility for us to SHOOT GUNS. Now if they built a place for us to hold the Grand which uses GUNS to SHOOT trap how unfriendly are they?? Thanks Scott for bringing that up. I'm still waiting to hear some responses to your question.----Matt

18. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Replacement shooter at a replacement facility - what a piece of crap/BS.

Shootover you have proved once again that you are the site idiot, dumbass or just general lowlife. What ever you are don't call yourself a "trap shooting competitor" because you certainly aren't one. You are just a outsider looking in. I strongly suggest you leave and find some other group to defame because if the ATA is what you claim then you don't deserve to belong, you owe it to yourself to leave, if in fact you really do belong.

Those who competed at the "Grand" and those that wanted to but couldn't for their own reasons - You are the ATA. Don't let the garbage on this site tell you otherwise.

Don

Scott: Ill. is just an excuse for the whiners, I suggest they check their own state gun laws.

19. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

Let's play nice! Bruce

20. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I hear people say that the Cardinal Cenmter should be home of the Grand. It is a great facility but it is owned by a single individual. If something happens to change his current situation it might mean the end of the Cardinal Center. I beleive we are safer with the facility we have in Sparta.

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.