1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2008 Target Year

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by partygirl, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. partygirl

partygirl TS Member

I see that the 2008 target year has been extended by one month. It seems to me that this will just about bring shooting to an end one month early in the midwest and east. What a lousy by-law and my rep has heard about it. How could this have been voted in unanimously? We shoot all year, go to the Grand to compete at years end, and then start over Sep 1st. It's a tradition, stick to it. I have heard from many people that feel the same way.

2. bas

bas Member

Actually, the 2008 target year will have two additional months....the new ATA target year is now Nov 1-Oct 31. The target year had changed many times througout the years...it used to be Oct 1 - Sep 30.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

And I recall this subject was knocked around at considerable length some months back. It shouldn't be a surprise at this time....breakemall....Bob Dodd

4. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

No matter HOW you look at it, try to justify it, or presents its merits -- this just plain sucks for shooters on the east coast.

We had been able to get a good start on target requirements for the next year by shooting in September and (even) part of October, while the weather is still decent for shooting. We now lose that 6 to 8 weeks. And -- since our tournament schedule is pretty much exhausted by September, we basically have a "dead" 2 months. There is no incentive to shoot, simply to add to a target total for a year that is already over.

For those who might think it is better to have an additional 2 months at the "back end" of the year, I'd bet alot of Lewis money that you are from west of the Mississippi.

5. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

I must agree with those that disagree with the change. We had a very good following during September and October. The target year should end with the Grand American. But alas the only change the BoD wants to address is one that may or not be in the best interest of ATA members. But then what more can you expect. They will not address any changes that actually are in the interest of trap shootint or trap shooters shooters. - Jim

6. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

K80 - I think I can speak for some those that are from West of the Mississipi. - Jim

7. tomk2

tomk2 Member

My areas largest local shoots are held in the fall. I predict this will not change. Its a great time of year to shoot, and the same 20 to 30 squads will appear regardless.

8. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

I think it stinks too and I have let my Delegate know my feelings on the subject. He also reported that the vote was NOT unanimous, although it was recorded as such. What gives with that?

Tim

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

I had a major role in stopping the target year change 8 years ago. I was disappointed that it did pass last year. It will hurt many shooters. The reason for the change was to make a job for six ladies in the ATA office easier.

John Q Trap Shooter- Your suggestion of changing the minimum target requirements for larger shoots in incorrect. If a minimum number of targets is required for accurate classification at these shoots, the minimum target requirement should be retained. If fewer required targets will allow proper classification at these shoots, the minimum should be lowered regardless of when the target year begins. An important reason why many shooters shoot in Sept/Oct had been eliminated.

But, we have made the job for six ladies in Vandalia easier. They are the ones who pushed the change through the office manager and they were successful. At times, it appears as if the clerks run the store.

Pat Ireland

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Having shot under both time periods - what really changes, nothing, you still shoot your targets.

But it does give you another chance to rip the ATA and try and show that the BOD does things just to irritate and drive shooters away.

Don

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,

Thanks for letting the truth be known. Is this just another nail in the coffin? HMB

12. tomk2

tomk2 Member

If you are bothered by Pat's explanation, ask why the target year was not changed to December 31st. The answer to that should really get you thinking.

Is it possible to agree that the reason for the change was wrong, but that the change itself won't make any difference?

13. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

The date change could be easily ignored if total target requirements included the present and past year, such as 1000 tgts instead of 500 tgts. this done on a state level which btw you could do at your state shoot if it bothered enough people in your area. The handicapping should go back x number of targets whether shot in this year or a combination of this year and last year. Just dont see a problem thant cant be solved. This would also open the door to move the Grand to a period later in the year when the weather is a little cooler, even though it could have some impact on the youth shooters.

shoot well and ofter

Bob

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob- What happens to the new shooters who join in November.

tomk2- You made me tell this. Beginning a new target year on January 1 was out of the question. This was suggested nearly 15 years ago but it was discovered that it would interfere with the Christmas plans of the office workers.

Pat Ireland

15. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

First off, a heartfelt thanks to Pat Ireland for stating the issue and outcome succinctly.

I also believe that this new target year is a minus for most shooters.. The Grand should finish the target year to allow the true amateurs a leg up on targets for next year. No other sport, amateur or professional, has their "championship" event and keeps going.

I'm all for office help and doing it easier but the sport should be about the participants. If the vote was unanimous, then shame on a majority of the Delegates and I don't say that lightly. It can be changed back just as easily as this change was made but it will take a concerted effort by shooters letting your State Delegate know your opinion.

Since I'm well aware that opinions are like A--holes, and everybody has one-this is simply mine! If I've missed something or am confused, I wish some of the State Delegates or Neil would respond. Knowing most issues are neither black or white but usually grey,I'm all ears !

I'll get my targets in by hook or crook for my State shoot but see no member benefits for anyone with the new target year schedule.

Eddie In Kentucky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.