1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2008 ATA Rule Revision - Interpretation?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Recoil Sissy, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

One of the revisions to the 2008 ATA rules concerns the minimum number of shooters required for a registered event. The new language can be found on pages 12 and 13 of the rule book - online at the ATA web page or the hard copy.

Section IV ATA Tournaments

A. Registered Shoots

2. To constitute a registered shoot the following requirements be met.

c. At least three (3) or more contestants must compete in and complete the same event on the same day of competion.

The new rule was informally interpreted in two different mutually exclusive ways at the Bang and Lost Gun Club.

The first interpretation holds that any one event of the day must have a minimum of three shooters. After that, even a single shooter could register his/her scores in other events.

For example, assume Sunday's program at 'Bang and Lost' consisted of 100 singles followed by 100 handicap targets and 50 pair of doubles last. Further assume three or more shooters shot the singles OR the handicap OR the doubles.

Under the first interpretation, three competitors in ANY ONE of the three scheduled events establishes the whole shoot as registered. Scores in the other two events could be registered even if there was but a single lonely shooter in those events.

The second interpretation holds that there must be a minimum of three shooters in an event to register the scores in that one specific event.

Assume there were six singles shooters at the Bang and Lost Club on Sunday. Three of them also shot the handicap targets but only two were interested in shooting the doubles.

Under the second interpretation, there were at least three shooters in the singles and handicap events. Therefore, scores for the singles and handicap events would be registered. However, because the minimum shooter threshhold number (three) wasn't met for doubles, doubles scores could not be registered.

Ok, home gamers. What do you think?

sissy

2. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

What's the purpose of holding a registered shoot?

3. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

"At least three (3) or more contestants must compete in and complete the same event on the same day of competion"

To me that is not up to any iterperlation at all, 3 shooters per event and an event is singles, handicap or doubles.

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

What makes you think this a revision or a new rule, RS?

Neil

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"The first interpretation holds that any one event of the day must have a minimum of three shooters. After that, even a single shooter could register his/her scores in other events."

I am surprised that anyone who could arrive at that interpretation could have ever learned to read.

6. Recoil Sissy

Neil:

I don't keep old rule books so I'm operating from memory - an especially perilous place for me...

My recollection of the prior rule (however far back that might have been) was that a minimum of five shooters were required to register the first event and a minimum of three shooters for subsequent events. No?

sissy

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

It changed to three across-the-board a few years ago, RS, but the text was 'bout the same, again based on my memory which is not necessarily any better than yours.

Neil

8. Recoil Sissy

Fellow Posters:

When I asked, "What do you think?" I knew to expect some opinions but anticipated getting at least one fact based and fact supported response. And so it was.

I particularly appreciated trap4ever's quoted references from previous editions of the ATA rule books as well as Neil's historical context, 'it aint new' and, clarity 'the rule is three across the board'.

Thanks all.

sissy

PS: I'll be communicating with my friend, the honorable but confused proponent of the first interpretation, shortly. I hope to point out the error of his thinking in a kind and gentle way thus avoiding unnecessary embarrassment. Something like, "Told you so. Told you so, neener, neener, neener...!" should do. : )

9. locdoc

locdoc Member

RS,

You should at least be able to get a Pepsi or a brew or maybe even lunch out of him for your efforts. Proper presentation, you know. :-}

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Let me change the question just a little. Lets say that 10 shooters shoot 100 registered singles. There are no trophies, money or even classification of these shooters. Then two shooters want to shoot another 100. Can one of the 10 shooters who has already shot have his score added to the scores of the two shooters who wish to shoot another 100 to make 3 people in the event?

Shooters who are shoot a lot at Middletown, Silver Dollar or any other club that has 250+ registered shoots each year need not answer.

Pat Ireland

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Pat there are 12 singles scores only 10 shooters I do believe that shoot management can put 6 score in one event and the other 6 score in another event to cover the rule and still conform to the event rules. The only draw back to this is there is supposed to be an official program listing fees events and payouts I don't know if this directly affects the changes or not.

Bob Lawless

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob- I agree with you. I have done this many times and plan to do it again.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.