1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2007 Grand Comments

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigdogtx, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

After you have completed the 2007 Grand, post your comments on how you liked it. THIS IS NOT TO BE A NEGATIVE THREAD!! For those of us who could not attend, this would be a way of vicariously being there. The sights, smells, food, and everything else.

Was your excitement prior to going met? What will you do different when you go back next year? Hotels, eating establisments, what was it like, etc.

Thanks.

2. rwm12

rwm12 Member

Only shoot one day but great place to shoot.

3. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

First Grand, shot two days, very hot. Vendors were more than I anticipated, found more stuff to buy than I had planned on. Found new gun for the wife and new shooting dud's to look good. Food was great, found motels rooms just a nice 40 minute drive away, and some great resturants. Shot with some very friendly people and was impressed with the facilities. Next year I'm looking at maybe 4 or 5 days.
    I don't think I could say anything negative other than hot, and I can't control that.

4. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Damn it! I knew I should have gone to Vandalia! Damn!

5. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

zarathrusta

Glad to see you finally saw the light.

Temp did hit 96 here one day last week. But it was 107 in IL so we got the better side of that one.

There is a lot of asphalt that gets hot and heats things up at Sparta also.

And the grass is not that funny brownish color here either.

Rock

Jim

6. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Nothing negative? Sorry, I can't truthfully comment then.

7. John55

John55 Active Member

I attended 8 days total, including the past four days of championship events. I shot in four handicap events, starting with the Budweiser on Sunday. As has already been mentioned on various threads, it was HOT...until noon yesterday. A front came through and temps went down markedly. This morning it was 74* when I started shooting @ 9:15 and at noon it was 82* when I returned home. The entire midwest has had the worst heat wave of the year, just a shame it had to be during Grand week.
    Friends and I ate at the main events center once and the barbeque was excellent. The folks that are running it this year are known throughout the area and have a solid reputation for good food in their restaurants. We also enjoyed a few of Buffalo Bob's burgers on the east line and just like last year, they were excellent. The folks running the barbeque stand right next door had some fantastic ribs and pulled pork. We brought some home on two occasions! Down the line a few spaces there was a place selling Italian sausage with grilled onions and peppers. The aroma coming from his trailor was wonderful, just wish I'd have stopped and tried some. Overall, I never ate a bad meal on the grounds and found prices reasonable.
    I was there last year and remember a few vendors that were not attending this year, but overall there seemed to be enough of everything to buy and/or look at. This morning the east end tent vendors all had a lot of traffic while I made my last pass before leaving. Most places that I shopped said business had been okay. Some said excellent but most seemed satisfied, but I never talked or went into all of the vendors.
    Shooting was tough with the heat, you had to drink lots of water. The targets I shot at were consistent from field to field on the four banks I shot from. I like lower targets than they were throwing, but that's my preference and not really a complaint. Several times the breeze would come from the north or northwest and cause them to get higher for a post or two, but that's just how it goes. The trap help all did a good job on the fields I shot on, they called the losses loud enough to hear them and only once did I hear a wrong call on a bird. They were polite and friendly and deserved to be told "good job" at the end of the rounds.
    Overall I enjoyed the time I spent there in spite of the heat...and my poor shooting! It's easy to get from one part of the place to another, the programs always got started on time and were finished by late afternoon. Give it a few years for the trees to grow and the grass to get established and everythign will be fine.

8. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I understand it is hot. Global warming? Clinton's fault? Jake

9. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

I only shot today. (Friday GAH) I was totally satisfied with the performance of the help and the smoothness of the event. I had no trouble at all with squadding, cashiering or handicapping. The help was all first rate. The WSRC is a fantastic place to shoot.

They had 587 squads today and I NEVER had a problem finding a convenient place to park.

I would say 9 out of 10. I would have given it a 10 out of 10 but I didn't shoot well.

hubcap

10. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

DevIl'sAdvoCatE

Oh no when it comes to IL I am most positive.

Rock

Jim

11. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

The food was good. The vendors were friendly. I was in great company. I hope to be back next year.

12. LLSCjrshooter

LLSCjrshooter TS Member

It was Grand!

My son and I were there for the SCTP kickoff, etc., and left after 4 days.

Then the boy returned with another family last Tuesday to break more targets.

Aside from the uncontrollable heat, it was terrific to walk amongst shooters of all stripes.

Regards from KC,

Peter Greenspan under his son's handle!

13. DeadDuck13

DeadDuck13 TS Member

I thought the Grand was awesome. I've been to the Grand in Ohio, and in Sparta, and they both have their good points.

Yes, the heat this year has been bad....much worse then normal. We've also had a severe drought as well. Combine the two, and yes, the grass will be brown, and the few trees they DO have will look like twigs. This is the worst I've seen the weather in YEARS.

There were plenty of vendors, plenty of ice water in coolers for the shooters, the staff was friendly, and I gotta say, those kids worked their tails off in that heat....my hat's off to them. The cooling stations were nice, and despite the heat everybody was in a good mood.

Did anybody watch Patrick Flanigan shoot? And did anybody try the BBQ from....I think it was called Bubba Joe's? It was awesome!

14. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

I went in 2006 and enjoyed every minute of it! I didn't go this year and I regret not making the trip. I shot with the fellow from SC that broke the 1st 99 in the GAH in 06.

We are already planning for the 08 Grand right now!

I predict that the weather will be just what the doctor ordered next year!

38-01615

PS - 741 miles from Greensboro NC

15. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Nomderf, I also didn't get to go this year and I'm having severe withdraw symptoms. Tell David I'll be ready for that rematch at next years GAH and shootoff. AJ

16. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

Texshooter - talked to Dave today and he missed it also this year. That Belgium Browning broke again and I have tried to get him to buy a new left handed combo.

I read about your move back to the 27 and congrats. I am still stuck on the 24 but we are going to get it done eventually.

Have a great fall/winter and see you at Sparta in 2008.

38-01615

17. Tony Jones

Tony Jones TS Member

Had a wonderful time. Attended Wed Aug 8 thru Wed Aug 15. Love our campsite. Couldn't have been there that long with out the camper. Was awfully hot. Didn't bother me so much shooting as just sitting around. Shot some decent scores, nothing to bragg about, but still decent. Looks like with Lewis $$ I will just about end up shooting for 1/2 of what initial fee's were. That's a huge plus. Found a really nice place to eat. Place called the Roadhouse. Just a few miles north of Chester, in a little place named Bremen. Really good food. Family owned. I recommend it highly. Tried some Estate shells for the 1st time. 2 3/4 dram 1 ounce 8's. Really hit targets hard. Both singles and handicap from 24 yrd line. Should have bought more to bring home. Met some really nice people. Absolutely great place to shoot.

T.

18. loadmaster

loadmaster TS Member

Shot 8 days in Sparta, my first time there. To my likes and dislikes, Sparta, as a shooting facility, beats Vandalia hands down. Except for about 3 banks, you can drive up and park behind the traps you shoot and not need a dusty, hot thrlloi pulled by a diesel belching tractor to get you there some time. The shoot was run as well as a shoot can be. Very few trobles with traps and they were fixed promptly. Every one was as pleasent as could be. The people working the shoot were all courteous and helpful. The citizens of Sparta could not have been nicer. The country is beautiful rural America which makes for a pleasant drive. Nothing like driving in a large city. If you did not have a room close it was about a one hour drive to the facility. To me that wasn't a big deal. At home the only club closer to me is my home club. Granted I will try to stay closer next time but that would not keep me from going. The worst thing about the trip was the 11 hour drive there and back. It was very hot. Over 100 most days and a little breeze. If the wind died, as it some times did, it was almost unbearable but what do you expect in August. Last year the main topic was the quantity of law enforcement personnel. I undersatand there were less this year. All of them I talked to were very plesant and I saw some out shooting vendor try guns. On more than one occasion they would drive their pickups down the line puting ice in the water jugs. Now that is public service If you plan to go, get your room early and have a great time. The food vendors were great and made you feel they appreciated your business.
    I know you said no negatives but this one was talked about by a lot of people and they seemed to be of one opinion. There were "TOO MANY" grand keepsake items, buckles, shirts, coasters, etc with the grand american/ata logo and "Ray Grebe" on them. If people want an item from the grand they don't want someones name on it. It was so over done you might think he was runing for office. Executive board failed badly by allowing this to be done and should prevent it's recurrence.
    If you want to go, do so and have a great time. Just be prepaired for what is there.

19. ASHOT

ASHOT TS Member

Shot there 8 days, I missed the trames, great place to shoot and a well ran shoot. A lot of hard hot work put in by a lot of people, thanks for the hard work everybody.

20. gordy h

gordy h Member

I made it, 1st grand in 20 years, Well run shoot, legs got tired, looking at all the venders. Even got a new Parzzi. Shot my average, and no sun stroke.
    Thanks to all the great help, and friendly people who ran it. Butch H

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.