1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2006 Mercury Mountaineer opinions?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by new loader, Sep 5, 2013.

1. new loader

new loader Member

Looking for opinions good, bad, indifferent for 2006 Mercury Mountaineer. AWD, 4.0 engine, factory tow package. Let's hear it.

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

We had a 97 explorer--the car almost killed us, the front upper ball joints are captured by a pinch fit, the bolt making the pinch broke & the upper ball joint fell out

Last Ford product we ever bought.

Phil Berkowitz

3. new loader

new loader Member

80,000 miles. Keep the comments coming. Need reason to buy or excuse to decline.

4. Baber

Baber TS Member

I have an '06 Grand Marquis with 209k miles at this point. Its starting to give me a little problem so it will probably get traded in the next year but otherwise its been great.

Might be a good buy if the price is right.

T

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Not a bad power train, but everything else is garbage. Ford put the cheapest, lowest quality components that the could get their greedy little hands on with those vehicles. It will likely nickle and dime you to death.

Jb

6. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

the window motors and mechanisms are junk. the 2004 we have is looking at 179,000 miles. engine and drive train is fine, keep fluids changed, all fluids, brake fluid included. the mileage on ours runs around 17 but the wife still drives like a teenager. overall terribly disappointed in the window issues. we have had issues with all 4 power window mechanisms. We have been considering giving it to a family member, but they cant afford to keep it running.

7. hoosierdad

hoosierdad TS Member

If it has the 6 speed automatic beware. Do an internet search on problems with this transmission. Some are problematic. My '06 Explorer trans. is a little quirky at times but it has 125,000 miles on it. This is our fourth Explorer. The '91 had 215,000 when some idiot crossed the center line and hit us head on ending it's career. The strength of the vehicle may have saved our lives. The '94 we gave our son has 230,000 and still going strong. The '97 we sold four years ago with 225,000 is still being driven by that person. We did have to rebuild the trans. in the '91 at 190,000. My cousin has an '06 Mountaineer and they haven't had any major problems with it. Of course, this just has been my experience.

8. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

TBaber - Have you received notice of the recall on your car? Apparently the steering system has a lower intermediate shaft prone to seizure due to extreme corrosion. That can cause the upper intermediate shaft to collapse, and the steering column lower bearing to separate, and the steering will suddenly stop working. Ford found this out because of complaints of steering failure by police forces.

The recall includes all Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, and Town Car models from 2005 through 2011 model years.

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

Shooting Star... I am aware of the recall plan to have it addressed shortly. It's mainly aimed at northern cars that are subject to road salt. I live in Florida. Not an issue.

T

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

"Not a bad power train, but everything else is garbage. Ford put the cheapest, lowest quality components that the could get their greedy little hands on with those vehicles. It will likely nickle and dime you to death."

That came from Tron who was a Ford Tech, that should tell you your answer

11. new loader

new loader Member

You guys are great. Always good info here. I have all the info I need to make a decision. Thanks to all.