1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2005 Jeep Liberty Diesel ,

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by LUGNUTZ426, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

what about it?

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Noisy! I went and drove one, made it a short one as the noise was terrible, Jake

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Who makes the diesel engine?

4. loanman

loanman Active Member

this is an interesting thread. what kind of realistic mileage do these get for being diesel?

5. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

I did not start this thread, some one did and there first post was missing. Anyway, the engine was made by an Italian company VM. They were not sold in
    Cal emmissions states. They were faster then the 3.7 gas engine and got much better fuel economy.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"copper" started the thread and then deleted it before anyone could respond.

7. loanman

loanman Active Member

well whomever started it, I am interested to get feedback. the wife has been bugging me for a Jeep SUV and I am not big on their gas motors but diesel would be a great option if the motor is any good

8. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

The one I drove was a 2005 and as I stated above was very noisy. Being almost 8 years later they may have lessened that problem. All the other major deisels have. Best to drive one and see. I did test drive a new VW Passat and was very impressed with it. Very quiet and peppy. Jake

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Avoid the one in Liberty - it was made in Italy

The one made by Mercedez for the Grand Cherokee was great and is great- hard to find a used one

10. cnjranch

cnjranch Member

We bought a RV and the tow vehicle which was included was a 2005 Liberty with the diesel. So far this has been a great Jeep. It has 55,000 miles on it and our son drives it to school unless we are on the road traveling.

Mileage is about 22 to 26 on the highway. Has lots of power and runs strong as you can easily break traction on the rear tires. They only made two years of the diesels in the liberty and I believe it was 2005 and 2006 but might have been 2004.

Any other questions let me know and I will try and answer them. You can pm or email me.

James Hammond

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Sister in law has a new Passat diesel. She drives 11 miles to work and gets 48 mpg.

Why aren't we driving Diesels and nat. gas vehicles like the rest of the educated world?

12. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

I bought one in 2005 and still have it. It has over 150k miles on it. It still runs good. Highway mileage 23-25mpg. I was told when purchasing that the diesel engine in mine was from Mercedes. The gas engines to my understanding was only getting 14-16mpg. And of course a week after I purchased my diesel, diesel fuel surpassed gasoline. But I've been happy with mine.

13. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I looked at a used one before buying my 2008 Liberty. The diesel was a 2005 and the dealer was begging anybody to take it off his hands. Nothing wrong with it, really; the dealer said it was because it was discontinued and that made it a red headed stepchild.

They finally sold it the following spring to another dealer.

I asked the salesman I dealt with if Chrysler was going to try a diesel again in the Liberty or the 1500 Ram truck and he said with the price of diesel fuel that would be a slim to none possibility!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.