1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2004 Ford F-150

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Travioli, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Travioli

Travioli TS Member

Now I lknow this is completely unrelate to shooting but I need some advice. I am planning on replacing my exhaust with either magnaflow or flowmaster. I was thinking of going to a cat back system but was wondering if anyone knew is there a big difference in getting a cat back system as to just replacing the muffler? I am trying to increase some powqer in the truck in hopes of getting some better gas mileage. My truck like title of thread is 2004 F150 5.4L. Right now Iget about 15 city and 20 highway. Also what are your thoughts on synthetic oil? I read that royal purple canimprove your MPG's.

Travis

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I dont know if synthetic will improve MPG or not, your going to have to test that your self. I think the added cost of the sythetic will make the mpg gain moot. also We have had some leaks after switching to sythetic. as far as the exhaust I really do not think you will see a increase with milage with a exhaust system? most cat back systems are not much bigger than stock I also question the flow. Most are just loader. Most if any of your restriction is in the catalytic converter. Plus you are not getting anything more into the engine so need not to get more out. MPG gains come from light foot thiner tires proper maintance tire inflation at proper levels, . I tried removing the tail gate. Did not see a gain in MPG. actually very little actually blows out of the back of my truck seems to be little air swooping down over cab.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Hi Trav...My truck is a V-10 and it responded greatly by going with a Gibson DualSport exhaust that was recommended as being tuned for maximum Hp/torque and gas mileage down around the 2000-3000rpm range which is where your engine spends 80% of its time...go with the full catback..its also has a deeper mellower sound that sounds real good but is barely any louder in the cab...get a KN filter or a cold air intake and you won't believe the power you pick up....I use Mobil1 5w-20 synthetic...works great but I'm sure Royal Purple is great stuff too...I used to use Amsoil until it got to be a hassle to find when I need it...all that picked me up almost 4mpg ans a ton more power too...if you really want to boost gas mileage get a Hypertech and go with the economy tune program...it will pay for itself within a year

4. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Big myth about synthetic oil! I have it on good authourity that even the 100% is only a small percentage of synthetic. I have been told that the best oil to use is Rotella. Shell I do believe. This is from a company that manufactures a washable oil filter for motorcycles. My friend talked to someone the other day from this comapny and learned more about oil in ten minutes than he had learned in a lifetime and he takes care of his machines! Bill

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Mr. Haskins, Could you please tell us where you got your "real authority" data on synthetic oil?

Hauxfan!

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

We see a lot of problems with the kn air filters on newer cars/trucks especially gm. The air flow sensor gets gummed up, Theres many thing you can do try, how much $$ do you want to spend is the key. A good exhaust,cool air kit,chips how much does it cost 500,1000,1500 ?

7. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Not necessarily apples to apples but I have a 2004 6.0 diesel and most people "in the know" recommend NOT to switch out original air filter. The stock one is as good as it gets. Your mileage may vary, pun or no pun intended...your choice! LOL

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

JB,

The stock air filter should not void your warranty, unless you installed it improperly. An aftermarket filter may not have the reinforcements required to prevent distortion with the diesel applications. ANY leakage around the filter can destroy the engine and turbo(s). KN filters are usually good quality, but I have seen them leak.

9. emm2

emm2 Member

I have an 04 F150 with the 5.4. I run synthetic oil and my mileage is 16 but it was 16 before I switched. You will get no increase from that. As for exhaust, air filters and superchips come on, more power means less fuel economy. I know where there are used 04 exhaust kits, K&N filters and superchips for sale if you want to fall for it. Drive it or trade it, I've tried it all and am back to all stock parts. Shane

10. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Had a K/N air filter on the same truck. Went back to stock I never noticed any change. 16 in town/19-20 hwy. All stock

11. B.C.

B.C. Member

I saw no difference in switching to synthetic 5/20 in my 5.4L Ford Van, hope this helps ! B.C.

12. 2@8lo

2@8lo TS Member

The difference between just a muffler and a cat-back system is that the cat-back will be bigger pipe and have smoother bends in the pipe which equals less restriction.I can tell you from experience that a good free flowing exhaust will help MPG.I had a Gibson cat-back on my F-150 and the muffler rusted away in a short time(about a year and 1/2) I was leaving for a shoot about 4 hours away and didn't want to listen to the noise all the way there so wanted to get it replaced.The original Gibson replacement muffler cost almost as much as the entire kit did and my warehouse didn't stock it but they did stock a Flowmaster of similar configuration and they were on a special at like 45 or 50% of jobber(I owned a speed shop at the time) price so I put that on and I couldn't believe it but my mileage increased by 1.5 MPG(may not sound like alot but when you are only getting 12MPG thats more than 10%) I sure hadn't planned on that I just wanted to save money on a muffler.Since then I have been sold on Flowmaster.As someone stated though you do have to have more air going in also so a K&N filter is the ticket,of you want to spend a little more and get a little more go for the K&N cold-air induction kit but if thats out of your price range just changing the filter is some help.Make sure you stick with K&N though,there are some very inexpensive cold air kits out there but the problem with most of them is that they are not engineered and designed right and I have seen some of them that actually made a vehicle run worse.K&N spends millions each year on R&D and thats one reason they have been around all these years,the other companies are here today and gone tomorrow.Remember-PRICE IS WHAT YOU PAY,VALUE IS WHAT YOU GET.

13. yenko

yenko TS Member

my 06 f150 5.4 at best gets 18mpg on the freeway and 14-15 in the city i do have a flowmaster cat back and k&n filter with a home made cold air kit.note its a 4x4 with the factory 20" wheels.the biggest problem i have is the stumble on accelleration.i asked the ford dealer whats up and was told ford knows about the problem but wont do anything about it,hmmmmmm,then at 100mph the computer shuts down the fuel pump so it wont run past 100mph.my 04 silverado would run circles around this thing,guess ford gonna lose a customer.

14. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Yenko, Most of the chevy's with the 350 gear cut off between 92 and 98. I added the super chip to my 06 F150 that cut off at 97 and I've only had it to 115 and it then shifts into OD or maybe it the lockup on the torque converter. I decided that was fast enough for me. Jackie B.

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

BIGGEST FUEL SAVEING TIPS, get rid of any unneeded weight, 2 a more narrow tire filled to proper psi,for those guys running the big tires that are not really needed. and a light foot. Guys telling you MOAST after adding any performance items your foot magically gets heavier!!! check you ROI you sink 1500/2000 in exhaust chips filters etc ect. Unless your doing a lot of driving????? Find a bass pro or cabela's credit card with gas reward points or something. most chips/computer upgrades are NOT to improve gas mileage. Reprogramming the computer timing and shift points maybe. I know that most would not be happy with the performance is you computer was set for max MPG you would have very slow acceleration

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Yenko, check out TSB, TSB 06-19-3. Or bring this to dealer. ECM reprogram for hesitation on accel.

17. yenko

yenko TS Member

why do you think it spit out the drive line? i think there is more to that story than whats being told.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.