1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2002 Kia Sportage ??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bluedotman, Dec 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bluedotman

Bluedotman Active Member

Anyone own one. iam thinking about Buying one. any info Good or Bad. Thanks. Danny

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Don't.

A woman I work with bought one new back about then. She got rid of it about five years later, but it's still a running joke around the plant due to all the costly different things that went wrong with it. I haven't seen such an epic POS since the Chevy Vega.

-Gary

3. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I had one that was a great little 4x4, I loved it, My daughter took it from me. LOL
    Don

4. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I don't know about the 2002 specifically,but I had a new 1997. It was a pain. Lots of electrical problems. I had KIA mechanic tell me there electrical systems were bottom of the line. I sold mine at a loss. The newer units seem to get wide acceptance and they get better reviews.

My daughter bought a Hyuandi (sp) Tucson, last year. Great little car with an exceptional warranty.

JON

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

There throw away vehicles, commonly hard to get correct parts for and many issues. never owned one but have worked on more than I cared to.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Can you say Yugo?

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Buy a Hyundai, 100,000 mile warranty and a great car

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

One of our shooting buddies has one...its been a decent runner for him but in the snow belt with all the salting of the roads in bad weather his frame is rotted out and hes just waiting for it to cave then will junk it...it has almost 150k trouble free miles...I think the anti rust treament of their metal has gotten a ton better since Hyundai bought them out

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

It happened in the late 90's but Hyundai and Kias renaissance sort of happened around 2007-8 where they got serious about producing cars to compete with the Japanese brands quality wise

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

2004 models were a do over of the previous Sportage models. I can't say much about the earlier ones, I heard brake problems and rusting of the body on frame construction.

I just gave my wifes 2000 Kia sedan to the daughter so she could get better mileage on a 30 mile commute. We bought the car new, and had good results with only a few glitches. When the warranty ran out the tranny puked about 5K miles later. That was $1200. the car is still going strong at 145K miles.

I replaced it with a Corolla and we whal see what ensues.

HM

11. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Don't know about Kia but read recently that Hyundai now has the second best resale value, Honda is still first. They have come a long way since they and Kia first exported their junk cars to the USA.

12. claydust0069

claydust0069 Member

I have a Kia van that I bought new. It is 9 years old, has 225,000+ miles on it and runs great. I have taken good care of it, did the regular maintance and have no plans to part with it any time soon. I have no problem recommending Kia or Hyundai. Switched to them in 1990 and never looked back. Biggest repair on any of the ones I have owned in those 22 years is a water pump.

13. mikelittle

mikelittle TS Member

Had a 1998 drove it 165,000 miles then gave it to my son and after he abused it for two years he sold it and as far as I know it is still going.

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Kia powertrains are bullet proof. The older models had problems with wheel bearings and some electrical issues, but the stuff built in the last 10 years can't be touched for the money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.