1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2002 Frieghtliner Sprinter Van 2.7

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by LUGNUTZ426, Nov 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

Extremely expensive parts from Mercedes/Germany. Most modules and wiring harnesses have to be "made to order" and therefore lots of downtime. DO NOT SKIMP ON MAINTENANCE. A new engine will run over 20 grand installed. If you did not get a service contract with it, buy the longest one available. Keep the cargo door hinges lubed and adjusted properly as they tend to wear out. Dodge Sprinter dealers still do maintenance on these and may be a viable alternative if you don't have a Mercedes/Freightline dealer local. Stay away from shops that have no Sprinter trained techs.

Carfax will only give information that is available from dmv and insurance co
    sources. If a company was self insured, there is no records of a collision repair available. I have seen vehicles which were 2 wrecks sawed in half and welded togeteher that had a clean carfax report. Craigslist is full of these sort of moneytraps. There is no substitute for paying a qualified tech to check out a used car. Dealing with local reputable new or large used dealer that gives a warranty or service contract on a used vehicle can protect you in most cases. Be wary of vehicles that have a history that ping pongs across the country. There are some states and ways of putting a title on wrecks and flood vehicles without a salvage brand.

Joe

2. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I drove one when I worked for NAPA auto parts.

I liked it except for a few; the heater and air cond. controls were confusing, and on ice and snow or windy conditions it felt a little unsafe.

A dually might have felt better, however, it got run hard and performed well.

Regards....Gerald

3. BrowningGuy

BrowningGuy Member

The 2002 and 2003 were problems,had one for about a year and nothing but trouble. If you move up to newer year they say not an issue, but for some reason 2002-2003 were lots of problems. sorry Tony

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"Van is starting to scare"

Starting??? You ain't had the thing one month and its had 3 seperate issues. Take it back before 30 days is up. It's a money pit.

5. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

does PA have a used car lemon law? maybe contact a firm that specializes in
    this type of litigation. At the very least you should ask for a longer warranty or service contract if they don't take it back.

6. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

chevy wont help you with a franchise dealer selling non chevy used truck. do not
    threaten,paint lemons or picket as courts do not look on that kindly in the event of litigation. if you really want out I suggest you speak to an attorney now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.