1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

$200,000 lewis at grand ?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jeffprigge, Jul 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffprigge

    jeffprigge Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    1,055
    I understand the pecentage lewis for the HOA , but the 5 divisions 60 / 40 High Gun lewis for every 100 targets I dont . High gun to me meens only the very top scores get all the money, someone please explain . Thanks
     
  2. V10

    V10 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    3,621
    Location:
    Mojave Desert
    High gun means that the top "shooters," or "guns," not scores, get paid.

    In this case, the top two shooters in each Lewis class will get paid because the payout is specified as 60/40. Since the chances are that there will be more than one shooter with the top score in each Lewis class, it essentially means that the top score in each Lewis class will be paid.
     
  3. Barry C. Roach

    Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    9,207
    Location:
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I'm confused, as well. I always thought "high gun" was a term for "high score".
     
  4. tom berry

    tom berry Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    760
    Location:
    Winterset, IA
    my understanding of the phrase "60/40 High Gun" means that in each of the 5 lewis classes the money is split 60/40. However, if there is more than one shooter with the score at the top of the class, all the money goes to the top score in the class.

    For example, if in 3rd lewis class the top score is 94 and there is only one of them, the 94 gets 60% and 93 will get 40% ( if there are multiple 93s they split the 40%). If there is more than 1 94 then the money gets split between the 94s and the 93s don't get paid.

    The term "high gun" doesn't necessarily mean the top score of the entire event. It's just a way to state "ties don't divide" within each lewis class.

    Now after all that, I hope my understanding is correct.
     
  5. V10

    V10 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    3,621
    Location:
    Mojave Desert
    There are two "systems" that are used for money division: High Gun and Percentage.

    High Gun is oriented by shooter, or "guns."

    Percentage is oriented by score.

    Ties divide in both systems.

    In a High Gun system shooters get paid. In a Percentage system scores get paid.


    Example: 40/30/20/10 Percentage

    This means that the top four scores will get paid. I.e., anyone with a 100, 99, 98, or 97 will get paid. The only thing that will change each persons payout is how many of each score there are.


    Example: 40/30/20/10 High Gun

    This means that the top four shooters will get paid. If there are four 100s shot, then only the 100s will get paid. If there is 1 100 and 3 99s, the 100 will get 40% and the 99s will split the other 60%. If there are 20 100s those twenty "guns" will split the entire pot (5% apiece.)
     
  6. ivanhoe

    ivanhoe Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    7,538
    Location:
    Oxford MA
    "If there is 1 100 and 3 99s, the 100 will get 40% and the 99s will split the other 60%."

    Never seen it paid that way usually it is paid if there is 1, 100 he gets 60% the 99's split the 40%. After all the 100 did come in in first place and first place pays 60%. The 99's are second place money????

    Bob Lawless
     
  7. scott calhoun

    scott calhoun Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    1,413
    Location:
    Chicago area
    Bob -

    The example V10 used was 40/30/20/10, so the 1-100 and 3-99 example the 100 would get 40 percent.

    Scott
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.