1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 year old Mec Hydraulic rebuild question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by andybull, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andybull

andybull Active Member

Is there a place where I can buy a rebuild (re packing kit) for a Mec Hydraulic cylinder? This is the black one. I must have a newer model in my other Mec loader, it is silver and has a larger diameter piston.

After about 18 years of sitting on the bench, I installed the pump and when I cycled it a few times it started to leak from the bottom. I haven't attempted to take it apart.

Thanks,

Andy

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

There were a couple of people on ts.com that could rebuild it for you or you can send it to mec and they can rebuild it unless it's the sealed style. Maybe someone will chime in on who can rebuild it for you. Jackie B.

3. smokestack

smokestack Member

birddog1964 rebuilds Mec equipment.

Paul

4. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

If you have a local hydraulics shop in your town I'm sure you could get it rebuilt there.

5. bh

bh TS Member

I recently rebuilt mine, both ends unscrewed and I just took it apart and replaced the o rings and a couple flat seals--very easy--went to our local rocket seals here in Denver for replacements and spent about $6.00--I did talk to the mec guy at the nsca nationals and he indicated they have a rebuild kit--good luck
    Bob

6. Etiquette

Etiquette Member

My suggestion is do not fool around with the old hydro cylinder. Send it to mec and get one that is up to date with the vent tube on the bottom. Also, you should get the fitting for your pump that received thisvent tube.
    Good luck

7. andybull

andybull Active Member

Tite: I noticed on the parts book that The newer Mecs have the vented bottom.

Thanks,

Andy

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Mec quit selling those rebuild kits years ago- have they started again?

As far as a new cyl vs rebuild- you can rebuild your old one about 40-50 times for what a new cyl will cost

The old ones are just fine

regards from Iowa

Gene

9. andybull

andybull Active Member

Well, my wife went by a forklift repair place in our little town to at least get an idea as to where to go and they were closed. Anyone know the part #'s so I can order them online, or a place to buy them near Atlanta? The top part does not come off, I might have to buy a new one if it leaks later on from the top.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Andy & Hulk

[​IMG]

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Andy, Is that a pointer, setter, or retreiver?

11. andybull

andybull Active Member

That's my Lizard and fly catching Jack Russel.

andybull_2008_250965.jpg

12. andybull

andybull Active Member

13. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

MEC will not rebuild the older cylinders. Birddog1964 on this site does rebuild the older models.

Mec has always had the parts for the rebuild of the newer models. The problem is if you ask for a rebuild kit, they will tell you they don't have any. If you have the parts number, and I posted them on this site some time back, they will fill all the parts you need to rebuild the newer model cylinder. I would post them again but I just moved and I can't find anything! If I remember right the total came to around $17.

Good luck,
    Ajax

14. andybull

andybull Active Member

Thanks for the link. I sent Birddog a note.

15. andybull

andybull Active Member

I sent Birddog a PM on the 25th, so far no reply. Maybe some one else has the part #'s for the old black piston.

16. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Andy-- I've been told by MEC, in their eyes, the older Black cylinder are not rebuild-able. I don't ever remember anyone ever posting the part numbers because I don't think MEC had any parts for the old Black units. When my first older Black cylinder went bad on my Hustler the only option I had at that time was buy the newer cylinder.

The part numbers I had were for the newer cylinders with the screw top and bottom. I'm sure a hydraulic shop could rebuild one of the Black units, but on this site the only one I know of is birddog.

Good Luck,
    Ajax

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

20 year old hydraulic cylinders

black mec hydraulic cylinder