1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20" rims

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tracyhunter, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

If you put 20" rims on a car w/15" rims would you get less/more/the same mpg?

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Way worse, on the order to 30% in fact. But it will be a shorter drive to the club and that will partially offset the reduced miles-per-gallon you will calculate.

Neil

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

If you go with the right tire profile, you can make the 20" wheel/tire combo the exact same overall diameter as when you had the 15" wheel/tire combo. It would mean having low profile tires. Then nothing will change. Am i correct Neil?

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land

You get more LPG.

(Laughs Per Mile)

5. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

and your speedometer would be way off, wouldn't it, since it's calculating by RPM, and if the tires were bigger, you'd be traveling farther in the same amount of time, hence, faster...

And I'm confused about the MPG. If the outside diameter of the new tires were bigger, assuming (HUGE assumption) that it took no more gas to turn them, you'd go farther on the same amount of fuel. Obviously, this is not the case, because if it were, we'd all have 48" monster truck tires on....

But I can't make my pointy little head come to the 30% less figure Neil tosses out....

6. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Put tall tires on the rear and little ones on the front for great gas mileage, Always going down hill that way.

GneJ

7. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

And you will look Ghetto Fabulous.

8. 2@8lo

2@8lo TS Member

Grntitan is correct you can have the same OD as the 15" it will just be a low profile tire

9. TC

TC TS Member

Grntitan and 2@8lo are correct however, the low profile tires will result in a ride like a wooden wheeled farm wagon. (Lack of sidewall cushioning).

10. grntitan

Russ,

The 20" rims themselves do not look ghetto. Alot of pickup trucks now come factory with 20" rims and with the correct profile tires they look good. When you add the low profile tires i mentioned above is when it reaches the ghetto'd look.

...................................................................................................

2@8lo,

Thanks for the backup. I wasn't sure if my mind was think'n right or not.

11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Do you want to look like this?

ahab_2008_030396.jpg

12. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

Ahab, that is what I am trying to do.I wanted to raise the ground clearance of the differentials on my beater by just adding rims.the guy at the tire shop said it would use more gas. thats why the question about the mpg.I thought it would take less.so much for what I know.

13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

From my prespective that would truly be a waste of money. If your thinking of "upgrading " conside the "plus 2 concept and look at 17" wheel and tire packages. far less in cash and less risk of damage from pot holes

14. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

To get more clearance you really need to make that up in the tires. Bigger rims can get bigger tires, but you can get pretty good size 15's too.

That will eat gas like you wont believe, brakes probably be under powered too. If your going big tires you will likely get a mud terrain type traction which is a gas hog too.

Then your speedo is going to be off.

Along with Grntitan and others,
    you can go up in tires and keep the same original OD. Like Bruce said go up 2. Then you should still have adequate sidewall and braking. There are all sorts of conversion calculators online for this math.

Good Luck

Nick

15. grntitan

Nick has it right. Simply make your tire profile greater. It will in turn give you more ground clearance. It will however change your speedo and will need to be recalibrated it if bugs you. The amount of speedo error will depend on how much you change the OD. I did this with my pickup. It has 18" rims and i simply changed the tire profile size and went from 32.5" to almost 35" OD with just a subtle change. That may not sound like alot but it is quite noticable in ground clearance. I also added Bilstein 5100 series shocks that allowed me a few more inches without changing the steering angles and such. Anytime you make any changes, make sure to have an alignmenet done.

Matt

16. grntitan

Unless you made a drastic change(like adding really large wheel/tire combo), i doubt it will affect the ABS in any way. I certainly haven't noticed any changes on my truck and it has ABS and traction control. The computer shouldn't be affected in any way. It should automatically adjust for any fuel air requirements the engine senses like it does in every day use.

Keep in mind when you add larger wheel and tires thus increasing weight, the overall braking/stopping distance could be affected. Heavier wheel/tire combos will put more strain on the brake calipers, discs and pads. I upgraded my brakes before making the changes. I just went with EBC discs and pads and added SS braided brake lines as well as a High Temp Dot 4 brake fluid. Of course with these upgrades, my truck actually stops much better than before. Thats a whole different subject though.

17. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

By adding a larger circumference you change the power ratio. Just like gearing. Thus you use more gas to get to, and holding speed. You do however slow the tire rotation ratio, or lower the amount of rotation to travel the same miles, in essence, saving mileage to the tire. Huh? I know. I am trying to figure out what I just said. Jon

I would think it would affect stopping the same way. It would take more force on the pads to stop. You would need larger brake rotors to equal out the ratio. Jon

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

wpt_2008_0303_1331.jpg

wpt_2008_0303_1332.jpg

wpt_2008_0303_1334.jpg

These are 20" rims and there isn't anything Ghetto about them on this car, they are actually part of a Performance package from the factory ...
    WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It will kill your gas milage, it's tough on wheel bearings, wreaks havoc on electronics such as abs and suspension parts and it looks really stupid to boot. It MAY even void your warranty.

20. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

If the vehicle is within 7-8 years old the speedo can be re-calculated for tire height. One of the con's of 20" tires is the cost, my factory wheels are 20" and tire replacement is $350 each.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.