1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 or 28

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sean justice, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

looking to have my gun tubed,for now just 1 gauge should i get 20 or 28, also going to set up reloaded. which shell has better ballistics. if u had 1 which would it be?

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

While the factory shells are among the most expensive, I've never enjoyed a sub gauge as much as the 28 ga.; notoriously good ballistics and sweet to shoot.....Bob Dodd

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The 28 has a certain 'magic' as in it seems to work better than it should. The big down side to the 28 is ammo. Factory loaded stuff is expensive and you will never find much of a selection. Loading your own is almost mandatory. This one is at it's best with 3/4 Oz loads and shot sizes 7 1/2 and smaller.

The 20 is so much easier to get ammo for, generally anyplace that has shotshells has some 20 gauge at reasonable prices. Loading your own 20's isn't really necessary. The 20 works well with 7/8 or 1 oz loads and shot sizes up to #5 pattern reasonably well. That's a lot more than the 28 will do.

Both guages are great for clay target games like skeet and both are great for upland game birds (late season roosters excepted). Neither is good for waterfowl with steel shot although the 20 will do in some cases.

For versatility and practicality get the 20, for pure fun and shooting enjoyment get the 28.

4. abby748

abby748 TS Member

Sean; get the 28 for pure target fun. Like others said here, the 28 is just plain fun, less recoil than the 20 and crushes skeet targets. The downside you need to reload, buy a few flats and reload to keep cost down. You should see your old Model 32. Had it re-blued and put some really nice wood on it, looks great and shoots great also. Did have a issue when I tried to put my sub-gauge tubes in, companions, should fit in any Krieghoff with 32" barrels. When you had the briley thin walls put in they did not take out enough of the choke, sent it back to them for more barrel work to fix. Fine now.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get the 20. You can reload it with 3/4 oz of shot and it will be just like a 28. You will be able to buy inexpensive 20 guage shells too. HMB

6. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

Why not both. I have for sale a Browning feather lightning with both barrels, like new for $2400.00 with case and extra choke tubes.

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Practicality says 20, but it's hard to beat a 28. I'm in total agreement with the others.

ec90t

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

For clay targets my favorite ga. by FAR is the 28. Best pattern by far over the 12,20,or 410. There just is some kind of mathamatical perfection in the 28 ga. bore and 3/4 oz. load. You do need to reload these. Or just shoot new and sell the hulls online here. You will love the 28's. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

9. nipper

nipper TS Member

i agree with hmb, 20 gauge with 3/4oz , no recoil and kills targets, or expect to pay around 100.00 a flat for factory that is reloadable more than once or .10 or more per once fired

bill

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

My head and pocketbook say 20 gauge. My heart and passion for pure fun shouts TWENTY-EIGHT!

I have loaded 3/4 oz in the 20 for many years. I load 11/16 oz in the 28, and cannot tell the difference in breaks.

11. pw1

pw1 TS Member

The 28 is more expensive to shoot and the hulls don't even last as long but it is still by far the most fun and amazing gun to shoot.
    Paul Wells
    Oklahoma

12. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

The 28 Gauge by all means!

I have been told by many that this Gauge is balisicly perfect.

In skeet I have more 100s than any of the other larger bores.

Ronbo

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Just buy a good gun with multple barrel sets and quit fooling around.

Curt

14. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

curt whats your opinion of a good gun, i shoot a perazzi that im going to have tubed, i would love to find sub gauge barrels for perazzi but never see them 4 sale.

15. Bridger

Bridger Member

I would bet that you will regret only tubing for one gauge. If you like it, you'll be sending the gun back to have the other ones done. If you think the 20 or 28 is fun, the .410 is best of all ...or it can be a nightmare if things don't go well. Give some serious thought to having a full set. Shipping costs to send a gun back and forth are very high and tube costs will not be going down either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.