1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 guage reloads using Longshot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Once again, I'm trying to minimalize the different types of powder I keep on hand.

According to the Hodgdon reloading guide they don't show a listing for 1200fps using Longshot in a Federal 20ga hull with 7/8oz payload. The slowest they show is 1300fps. This is a little on the stout side for skeet. Have any of you, with success, downloaded the recipe(s) for Longshot to obtain this kind of velocity?

Thanks,
    ec90t

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I LIKE Longshot in 20 ga, but it likes to be pushed at least to 8000psi for consistent results. Anything lower than 21 gr or so just won't be consistent, specially in cold weather. 1200 fpa with Longshot isn't very efficient. Unique, and WSF are better for this. HTH AndyH

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

ec90t

I'd call the Hodgdon guys. You'll get a straight answer from them.

I'll bet, though, that you wouldn't get enough pressure if you loaded it that light to get a good, consistent burn.

Tim

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Thanks Andy! That's what I figured, but I had to ask.

Tim,

I talk to Hodgdon from time to time, but I always get the "If it's not in the book" answer. I feel that they just don't do enough testing on some of there powders these days. I know this because of some 7/8 oz loads using Titegroup in a 12 ga hull. They don't list them, but they work just fine. One of these days, I'll send a few of these loads to Kevin and have them blue printed.

ec90t

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Longshot is NOT a powder for light loads in 12, 20, or 16 ga. It can be dangerous to do so with a powder of this type. There have been some implied warnings about that in some posts. I think that Perazzi Big Bore had some experience in that area. Longshot is great for it's intended loads and would not be a good choice for targets loads in the 20ga. Hodgdon would be right if they gave you one of those, "If it's not in the book" replies.

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

ec90t

I really like Universal Clays for 20 gauge 7/8 ounce loads.

Tim

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Tim,

That's what I'm using now, I guess that I'll keep on using it. It does perform very well.

ec90t

8. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Have reloaded 20 ga for 40 years. I always tried to find a load in the 8-8500 range & used the componants that gave this. Sometimes have to go higher,though, Used a lot of Unique for 7/8th & 1 oz,have now switched to Herco for 1oz. I do like those 2 powders. Seems like load manuals are not as aggressive as they used to be. Liability. I got 30,000 CCI 109 on a deal. The books indicate a reduced pressue with this primer. No longer available so CCI 209. I am going to try some Longshot. Got 4# for free. Will only use for 1 oz in taper hull because of powder migration.

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have loaded the 20 since paper hull, cardboard and fiber wad, and Red Dot days. These days, I use Unique and 3/4 oz at around 1250.

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

'Coach,

When loading 3/4 oz shells, what shot size do you use?

My scores averge 22/25, but I'm a recreational skeet shooter. I only shoot about 10 rounds a month.

ec90t

11. kolar12

kolar12 Member

I also load Universal Clays in STS Hulls and a Remington Wad. Works great. When I load AA hulls with a Claybuster Wad, the shells get crushed in the crimp die of my MEC Junior. Any Ideas??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

20 gauge reloads with longshot