1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 Guage Reloading Recipes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Flinch king, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flinch king

Flinch king Member

I'm trying to find some great recipes for a 20 guage load. I'm just starting out in the skeet and sporting clays world. I'm shooting a Browning XS and find it quite challenging. Some shooters say that trying to mix up shooting trap and skeet and sporting clays will mess up your trap scores. First off, as a newbe I don't think thats going to be an issue. I think shooting as much as you can will only help, your thoughts?

Brian Seibert

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Winchester primer Rem Hull (gun club or STS) 16 grains Universal Clays Rem RXP20 wad 7/8oz shot.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays are each very different from each other but what they have in common is that they are intended to be shooting recreation that uses your competitive insticts as a driver to improve your shooting skills.

So the problem with shooting all the games probably isn't that it 'messes up' one game or the other but that most people can't spend enough time or money on all three sports to master any of them. If you just want to have fun and don't really care about being the best you can be at just one game then by all means shoot them all. If you want to get really good at one particular game then you will find yourself getting a game specific shotgun and practicing only that game.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you are going to shoot all three games it will be important to load your ammo with the right size shot. For skeet and short range sporting clays targets 9s will work. For trap and mid range sporting targets 8s are in order. For long range sporting targets 7 1/2s are your best bet. HMB

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

Please do not ask for recipes on forums. There is some bad advice given.

Use ONLY published loads. There are scores of loads on the powder manufacturers' web sites. They know what they are doing.

Don Verna

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

What Don said. Follow the published recipes.

7. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

An Instinct shooter can shoot all 3 games well. If your a fundamental shooter well it depends on range time. The pattern board and recipe book will tell you the best load for you. Have fun and shoot as often as you can.

8. djldb6

djldb6 Member

Mirroring what others say about using published recipes, you should. My favorite published recipe is for 20/28 powder, sts or AA hulls, win 209 primer and 3/4 ounce #9. For the life of me I can't spontaneously recall what wad I use but I will edit this post when I get home to check.

Recoil is great and breaks targets just fine. I started loading 20 ga with unique and 1oz but trended downward to my current setup and like it a lot more than the 1oz loads.

Dan

9. skeet_man

The recipe I listed is a published one, and my personal skeet load for the last 7 or 8 years.

10. quartering

quartering Active Member

7/8oz of 7 1/2
    16gr of universal
    downrange drv-20 wad
    nobel sport 209 primer
    ata or aa hull

this load is exceptionally clean and it's published. 7 1/2's don't smoke skeet like 9's, but i reload 20ga on a 9000 and 7 1/2's don't get wedged in between everything when they bounce out. and they do bounce out, on occasion, on a 9000. good luck with it

11. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Alliant 20/28 is what I use.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx?page=/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx&shotype=&weight=0.875&weightdis=7%2f8&shellid=492>ypeid=3&gauge=12

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Brian, As your a new loader, Might I suggest you try some 8 l/2 shot!!! Works great on Shorter Trap, Skeet, and most Sporting Clays. You'll still need a few loads of your 8's or 7 l/2's for the longer shots (and the hardened rim Sporting targets), but this will help you keep one load for all three for the most part. It works fine for me. Stick with published loads from your powder company. Good Luck and break em all Jeff

13. johnboy

johnboy Member

Hodgdon's Universal in Remmington STS hulls is a very soft shooting load. I know the 8# kegs of Universal power have the grain loading (15.8) for the 7/8 ounce load. I use the Remmington RXP wad and have been shooting this load for 8-10 years.

14. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Does anyone know how Hodgdon Universal Clays compares to IMP SR7625 in a 7/8 ounce load?

I tried Winchester Super Field and Hodgdon International Clays and find that IMR SR7625 is much softer shooting.

Jim Skeel

15. skeet_man

I THINK 7625 is supposed to be like PB for small gauges, so if thats the case, and it has PB like characteristics, it will probably be lower recoil than UC. I do know it's more expensive than UC.

16. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I reload my 20's like johnboy, a published load by powder mfg. Both 8 1/2 and 9's patterned well on paper. I have not tried any component changes and probably won't. It works well.

17. todd farris

todd farris TS Member

I don't remember the load but I didn't like 20/28 powder. I used a windjammer wad and loaded it for 1200fps. This load would clean your sinuses!!

Todd

18. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

Like a number of others here, I use Universal for 7/8 oz loads. My favorite is using STS hulls 7/8 oz #8, with 15.8 gr Universal, WAA20 wad, and Win or NS 209 primer.

Recently, I have been shooting more 3/4 oz loads than anything else. My favorite there is using old AA CF hulls with 3/4 oz #8, with 13.0 gr International, WAA20 wad, and Win or NS 209 primer. This also loads great in AAHS hulls, but those hulls gave me fits with misfires due to light primer strikes in the lower barrel of my Browning 425. There are a number of threads on that topic. For that reason, I would not recommend using them in your XS.

19. skeet_man

Alliant does not list ANY 3/4oz 20ga loads w/ Promo for powder. Please cite your source.

20. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Having never loaded 20ga. I followed Alliants 20-28 recipe, with 7/8oz. of 8 shot.

Burns clean and the recoil is not excessive.

I use Promo for 12ga., so I might try some loads like Flincher suggests.

Regards....Gerald

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
20 gauge activ hull reloading recipe
20 gauge clays steel reload recipe

20 gauge reloading recipes

20 gauge slug reload
20 gauge slug reloading recipes
20 guage reloading recipes
clay reloading recipes for 20ga win hulls
top mark 20 gauge recipes