1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 guage federal reload recipes help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Cal Taylor, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cal Taylor

Cal Taylor Member

Hi,
    I am looking for the lightest reload possible, to introduce my daughters to shooting.
    I have green dot, red dot, promo powder, cheddite primers, 20s1 wads and federal 20 guage hulls. I need this shell just to go bang, lowest pressure possible. 1100fps?
    Thank-you!

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

You need some different powder, Unique or Universal, and some good 20 ga wads (your choice when it comes to the Federal Hull but get the Winchesters as they are taller). Load 3/4 oz of shot and you're ready to go. Just follow the data supplied by the manufacturer.

I'd really spend $20 on a pound of proper powder instead of using old data that has been removed due to pressure concerns.

ss

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Peak pressure does not affect recoil.

Look for a 3/4 ounce 1000 fps or 1100 fps load with Universal Clays or Unique or 20/28 or Longshot.

Also, get them a youth model 1187 20 gauge.

Soft recoiling shells, and a soft recoiling 1187 will make this fun for them. Recoil is a fun-killer.

You might give Hodgdon a call and tell them what you are looking for.

4. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Mr. Taylor:

The other posters provided some good advice but didn't explain why the powders you have aren't suitable.

Red Dot and Promo are designed for light 12 gauge reloads. They burn far to fast and create way to much chamber pressure for safe use in a 20 gauge hull.
    Green Dot is only marginally better. Alliant only lists one recipe and it requires a DIFFERENT primer than what you mentioned.

The bottom line... you need a slower burning powder. Alliant's Unique, Herco, and 20/28 are examples. Hodgdon's International and Universal Clays are two more.

If you're really fond of your girls, DON'T substitute primers or any other component without getting a green light from a powder company or another reliable industry source.

BTW, neither Alliant nor Hodgdon list a 20 gauge recipe in their on-line reloader guides using Federal hulls with less that 7/8 oz. of shot or running slower than 1200 fps.

sissy

5. grouse 1970

grouse 1970 Member

try rio primers 14.6 green dot clay busters wad win clon for 7/8 oz for 1170 fps this is used in win or rem hulls.or try 20/28 same primer same wad 16.3 grn 1200 fps works great for 16 yards trap i use 8 1/2 shot this is posted on alliant powders web site

6. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

grouse:

I have two quick points.

1. Alliant's on-line reloader's guide doesn't list any 20 ga. 7/8 oz. loads using Green Dot in a Winchester AA or an STS hull.

2. Alliant's on-line guide doesn't list Rio primers as an option for any 20 ga. hull.

Perhaps you'd be kind enough to explain exactly where you found either of the recipes you suggested.

sissy

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Sissy is right, Federal hulls produce less pressure than Remmy's or Win's. You need to use 7/8 ounce of shot, and at least 1200 fps. for complete powder burn. Like others have said, Green Dot is the only powder you have listed that will work. Wayne

8. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Alliant does list one 20 ga 7/8 oz load with Fed Hull; 20S1 wad; CCI 209M wad; 14.5 gr Green Dot; 9100 psi 1155 f/s. Double check at link in Wayneo's post.

The only thing that you do not have is the CCI 209M primers. I would guess that substituting the Cheddites for the CCI 209M would give you even less than 9100 psi and 1150 f/s, still it is just a guess, it's your daughter.

Above is a link to an on line recoil calculator, try crunch some numbers to see if going to a 3/4 oz at 1200 f/s has less recoil than 7/8 oz at 1150 f/s. It may be worth it to go to Win AA or Rem STS hulls and 3/4 oz of shot.

Also, I think that there are a few companies that have come out with "Low Recoil" 20 ga loads just for the purpose you are seeking. May be better to just buy a few boxes and if they work a few cases until she gets bigger or decides that shooting is not for her.

Jason

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

When my son started I got some 28 guage nitro cards for fillers and loaded 3/4 ounce in an otherwise standard 7/8 oz recipe.

Worked like a charm.

HM

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I'd be inclined to stick with a known recipe from the powder manufacturer.

With Winchester hulls, Hodgdon has some 3/4 ounce recipes for International Clays. Unfortunately, not with any of the components you listed, though.

3/4 ounce at 1150 fps? Sounds like a great load to start a young shooter with.

Like waverider said though, Fiocchi has low recoil 20 gauge shells. They work great. I used them when my daughter was 12, until she moved up to a 12 gauge.

11. gusgije

gusgije TS Member

I don't mean to be a wise guy, Buth the recoil is a simple physics problem.
    which is consevation of energy. ie. m1xV1=m2xv2 mass(3/4oz) times velocity of the shell equals mass (3/4oz) times velocity against the gun. Pretty crude,but the force leaving the shekk is always equal to the force against the chanmber(kick) Aa gas operated gun can reduce the kick by a lot (25-50%) I load a nice soft load with 7/8oz in Remington or AA shells (the characteristics are very close) wa20 shells and winchester primers with 17 grains of Long Shot. This load runs a little under 1200f/s and you can almost shoot 1 handed. It is well within the published specs and burns real clean. I think Hodgdens selection uses universal or international. with 13 grains
    gus

12. fishguts

fishguts Member

Why don't you just buy a couple of boxes of light 20 ga. loads..?

Wayne

13. grouse 1970

grouse 1970 Member

and also i use 15.2 green dot rio primers fed.20s1 wad in fed. and estate hulls and this what i use all the time but i would not use this when it gets cold out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

20 gauge recipes with universal

20 gauge reload recipes

20 gauge reloading recipes

20 gauge universal recipes

federal20ngaugereceipes
greendot powder recipe for 20 gauge
reloading recipes for 20 gauge using green dot
unique recipe for federal shells