1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 Guage AAs Red

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hmb, Oct 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I have been reloading Winchester 20 gauge hulls for many years. I just acquired a number of these hulls which are red in color, not the usual yellow color. The AA is in a square box, at top of hull is Western and at the bottom is Skeet, they have an 8 point crimp. Any history on these would be appreciated. HMB

2. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

I believe the color RED was dicontinued in 1971, when the color was changed to yellow. Some people were getting mixed with 12ga. shells and dropping in a 12ga. chamber. NOT SAFE. I had a few of these and loaded very well. Just remember what gun your putting live rounds in.

David McMillen

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

David M. is correct I still have some of the red ones, Federal was the first to color code their shells and it was a good change on their part, in fact it was such a good idea that all the other manufacturers soon followed suit. Ross Puls

4. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

hmb:

I hunted with red Winchester 20 gauge shells as a kid. I ran across some red empties in the early 80's. They were 2 3/4" high brass Super X with a six point crimp. The cener of the crimp had a small melted spot to seal it.

The recipe I was loading in standard yellow compression formed AA hulls of the era wouldn't even come close to fitting much less crimping. I assumed it was a difference in internal volume but don't really know. I didn't have enough of the red hulls to mess with so they got pitched.

sissy

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Recoil sissy I still have a couple of those hi brass red ones unfired somewhere in my collection. They were loaded with a sorta cup shaped paper over powder wad that looked like a pop bottle cap and felt filler wads with a plastic shot wrap collar. Soon followed by the 1 pc. wads of today.

Like you said they were tapered inside and you couldn't get the card wads in them so we just skipped the card and used all filler wads they worked just fine, but you DID HAVE to use a shot wrap collar (Alcan made what they called "quick-sert" shot wrap-collar that's what we used) otherwise the crimp was "gone" with the 1st reload. AHHHH the memories. Ross Puls

6. goodlife

goodlife Member

Dr. Howie I can't believe that you had these hulls. Remember I just want 1 for my collection.
    The director

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Used to keep afew boxes loaded up for 20ga shootoffs just to jam some guys and refs up thinking I was shooting 12ga Funny! LOL. Jeff

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I will save some for you. HMB

9. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Were these Mark 5's

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Two different brands, Western Mark 5 and Western AA Skeet. HMB

11. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I've never seen the red AA's but I've got a few of the Mark V's...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.