1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 gauge1100 heavy-weight to 12 gauge?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrskeet410, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Can I fit my 12 gauge 1100 barrel and bolt to an old (circa 1971) 20 gauge heavy-weight receiver? 20 gauge has the old scroll "engraving" I prefer.

2. mag410

mag410 Active Member

It is one of those things that is "possible" but not practical. The 20 gauge ejection port is smaller and does not have the stress relief slot at the rear. You would have to change both feed latches and probably some other things I can't think of at the moment.

I contemplated a similar conversion, 20 gauge to .410, but concluded it was not worth the effort.

A better solution would be to buy a 12 gauge field gun, part it out, and keep the receiver or trade the 20 gauge receiver for a 12 gauge.

Michael

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

recoil spring may also be different...not sure,..but definantly you need to investigate

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Mag410 - You're right. It's close but no cigar. 12 gauge brass won't quite fit thru the ejection port.

Odd thing after all that swapping I ended up with the 20 gauge trigger group in the 12 gauge 1100, and now that trigger group seems to be working. See my other thread at the link.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The latch and shell stop are difference between the 20ga and 12ga standard frames.

6. darincraft

darincraft Member

I have a 12 ga and a 20 ga. I tried the swap just to "see." After about 20 minutes I determined converting the 20 ga would mean irreversible modifications to the gun that even if done the conversion still might not work.

Darin

7. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

You folks are correct. I received this reply from Remington -

"The receiver is the same, but the internal workings are not. A 12 gauge barrel will not work on the 20 gauge shotgun."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.