1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 Gauge Slug Gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bkt514, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I am looking for a 20 Gauge Slug Gun, and any thoughts would be welcomed. The Remington 870 or 1100 is what I had in mind, but always open to good suggestions. Thanks, Bruce

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Back in the days I lived in Indiana ( 42-90) deer hunting was shotgun only ( later blackpowder and pistol) so I hunted with a slug and I really liked the old Ithaca model 37's. There was and is a lot of them floating around with slug barrels, sling etc

3. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

H and R Ultra slughunter in 20 or the Savage 220 bolt gun in 20 would be the first two choices for accuracy out of the box. Only problem with the H&R is it weighs about twice what the savage does and is a single shot.

4. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i will have by the end of the week- a beretta 20ga auto slug gun--welcome to call me if you are still looking--wally riebesell -660-744-4115

5. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

For accuracy, hands down the H & R Ultra Slug in 20ga that is built on a 12 ga bbl. The weight is not too bad and I always left it open and carried over the shoulder. I also have past experience with the Savage bolt in 12 ga and it shot really well too.

I am an 870 fan and as well as I like then I have no doubt that you will likely get better grouping with the H & R. If I did go Remington it would be the 870 with a fully rifeld bbl .and a cantilever mount. I think an auto causes one to take follow-up shots too quickly.

Do you have the chance to go the rifle caliber's instead in mabey 44 or 45 to save spending so much on sabot slugs? If you are asking about a slug gun I would assume highpower rifles are not legal for your area.

Let me know if I can help you on a new purchase.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I 2nd or 3rd the H&R 20ga. Ultra Slug gun. It is the most accurate slug gun i have ever seen or shot. I have the exact gun in 12ga. The Bull Barrel along with the overall weight of the gun combined with good Sabot slugs(i prefer the Hornady SST 300gr 12ga)makes for a true tack driver as far as slug guns go. They make the same Hornady slugs in 20ga. at 285gr. I bought mine about 5 years ago for well less than $300. Our local Wal Mart has the H&R for sale but i do not recall their asking price as i would not buy a gun from Wal Mart.

Matt

7. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

DeerCreek....we are able to use Rifles in most of New Hampshire. I normally use a 32 Wincester or a 300 Savage Model 99. The first with a peepsite and the second with an Ole Sears Roebuck 3 power. The ballistics for a 20 gage, have intriqued me for close hunting Whitetails.

8. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I understand the power thing, it is just the steep cost of sabot slugs. I was never so happy when Indiana approved limited range rifles (44mag, 45colt, 357,).

I still have a slug gun as a back up and to use on a special drawn hunt that prohibits the rifle.

My deal was 16.00 per 5 slugs or about 36.00 per 50 44's and the ability to load my own. Between myself and my friends we have landed around 15 deer in the last three years to the 44 mag.

9. B.C.

B.C. Member

In some states you cannot use a semi automatic to hunt Deer with,

check before you buy, we hunt with 870 slug in 20 ga

also the H&R would be my choice also ,deadly accurate

hope this helps. B.C.

10. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Bkt 514, stay with the 300.savage M-99, for close range deer hunting , you cannot improve on it..

trap-4

11. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Bruce,

Try to find an old Ithaca M66, Super Single, 20 gauge, lever action, single shot, Buck Buster. These guns were cheap, but they shot like nothing else out there, and you won't need sabots either. If I recall correctly, they seemed to like plain old 20 gauge Winchester Foster-type slugs best.

Good hunting.

Jon Reitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
20 ga slug gun
20 gauge slug gun for sale

beretta 20 gauge slug gun

h r 20 gauge slug guns for sale
ithaca buck buster

ithaca buck buster shotgun

ithaca m 66 buck buster