1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 gauge reloading questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

I'm just getting ready to start loading 20 gauge and I have a few questions. I'm not going to use green dot for powder, so that means I'll be using clays universal and unique. Yhe question is I was going to go with the clays but it seems hard to get, and someone just game me some unique. Is clays any better or just harder to find. The hodgenson seems to offer a lot of various loads, but what goos is it if you can't find it.

the next question is wads, I was going to go with the remington rxp20 there seems to be a lot of loads with this wad, but its about 35% more than say the claybuster and duster wa20 knock off's. is the reminton a better wad or just more expensive.

I ddon't mind paying more for wads if there really going to make a big difference any one use the knockoffs and how well do they work.

any help would be great.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The RXP's work great on the skeet field as well as in the field. This is one wad I don't mind paying a little extra for.

Unique is a very good powder. About the only difference is it will have a little bit more powder residue than the Universal Clays will.

ss

3. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

thanks for the info..the wad question you answered helped

4. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I have reloaded 20 ga for 38+ years. I like Unique very much & have used the powder almost exclusively for that time. I like the Rem hull you proposed & would definately stay with the Rem wad. It is made for the hull. Rem primer is good for this hull. You can reduce pressures by about 1000PSI by going to a CCI 109/209 primer. NOT the CCI Magnum or CCI209 T&S primer. PM me if you want more info or chat about 20 ga reloading.

5. skeezix

skeezix Member

Another pretty good 20 gauge powder is Alliants 20/28. About the same cost per jug as Universal, I use about 1/2 grain less per load. The RXP wad is a good wad as well.

john

6. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

20 gauge load = Unique powder >15.3 and < than 16 grs. STS, GunClub, Premier(RXP), old style AA; Orange Duster wad; some kind of not 209A just 209 primer. In AAhs use DownRange yellow wad or RXP 20, I have loaded the RXP because I had them,but at $25 a case difference i think the RXP is a waste of money for the #2 choice of the two wads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

all 20 gauge loads using wa20 wad