1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 Gauge Reloading Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pollardwater, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pollardwater

Pollardwater TS Member

I will be reloading 7/8 once #9 shot with 20 gauge remington gun club hulls using fiocchi primers. Not sure on the wads yet.

Question is... what powder to use for 1200 fps skeet loads and if I load for a junior shooter (light loads) can I use the same powder without issue?

What are you folks using and why do you like it? From what I can tell Longshot, 20/28, and Universal Clays are favorites - any thoughts on WSF?

Many thanks for your thoughts - Brian

2. shootintom

shootintom TS Member

I've had really great luck and consistency with Universal. I use it for both 20 and 28 so that's one benefit. I was using Green Dot for a few years and that wasn't real bad either. I shoot skeet and and when I worked up my original loads I chrono'd everything and loaded to 1,200 fps. If you are interested I can tell you what my loads are. I load some gun clubs but mostly STS's with Winchester primers.

Tom

3. shrek

shrek Active Member

I like 20/28 the best of the lot for powder. It would be best to contact alliant directly to ask about how many grains to use with the primer and wad of your choice.

In those hulls I would suggest trying orange dusters and the 20 guage windjammer wads.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I like WSF the best, Green Dot works well also. HMB

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I like 11.6 gr of Solo 1000 and I use Claybusters wads . Nice soft load for kids or those with a recoil problem . #19 bushing on a 650 Mec.

6. Highrise

Highrise TS Member

powders already listed all work fine.
    I have been loading 20ga for many years. For me its always factory duplication.
    In this case, winchester hull, winchester primer, winchester WAA20 wad, 17.0 gr WSF.

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

20 ga. Remington STS or Gun Club Hulls

Universal Clays 15.8 gr.

20 ga. Remington RXP Wads

Remington 209P primer

7/8 oz. #9 mag

Pretty basic load but, it works well for me. Have messed with some 20/28 powder and Orange Dusters wads. Results have been about the same.

8. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

I use universal in old style AA hulls with the old style AA wads.

Makes a great looking and performing load at skeet.

I'm using hulls that are 20 to 30 years old, so can't tell you anything about the new AA hulls.

Everything I have is old, including my wife.

ed.

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Brian, forget longshot you don't need it. I would recommend that you use the STS hulls. Life is to short to reload and shoot a metal base hull. There hard on your gun and reloader in the long run. You still can use the Claybuster wad CB-1078-20 in both of them. If you load on a Mec and don't ream out the charge bar to the full 7/8 oz. load you can load it like a light 7/8 oz load. Universal Clays is my powder of choice. Works for the 20 ga and the 28 ga. very well. Hodgdon has great reloading data on there website for all kinds of components. Go to hodgdon.com 20/28 powder is made from Alliant and you can find all there data at Alliantpowder.com Both will serve you well. Get a scale so you know how much powder and shot you are dropping and your good to go. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

10. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

I use gun clubs, AA, and sts hulls. Cb1078-20 wads, unique powder. If you are using a Mec, just change the bar to a 3/4 oz and make a real nice shooting lite 20 reload that just crushes targets.....a 28 payload in a free yellow hull....great load for a kid.

11. Pollardwater

Pollardwater TS Member

Thanks to all for your feedback!
    I have WSF on the shelf so I will use that up and then switch to Universal Clays with the correct wad and grains. I am most likely going to get another Hornady 366 press as it has served me well for 12 gauge and once something is setup well I tend not to mess with it. The issue with the bushings will be figured out with a little machining and many tests of how powder is dropping (the spread for the Powder Bushing Chart on Hornady 366 for WSF goes from a 330 for 16 gr to 420 for 26 gr - with nothing inbetween... http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/powder-charge-bushings.pdf) . Thanks for your feedback on the hulls - I will get STS hulls when available. When done I will chrono and let you folks know. Many thanks again folks! Brian

12. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

I load 7/8oz in Old AA's, STS's and Gun Clubs using Universal Clays. I load 3/4oz loads in the AAHS hulls using International Clays. I use the same WAA20 OEM wad for all and Win209 primers. If you don't use subguage tubes, you could use International for everything.

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Hodgdon Universal Clays, about 14.5 grains

Downrange Versalite 20 gauge wads

Winchester 209 primers

AA hulls

Makes a super 7/8 ounce load.

14. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I use Alliant Unique in my 20 ga Skeet loads in Remington hulls. If I use the OEM Winchester wad, I can reduce the shot load to just over 3/4 oz for a really light load. I continue to use Unique because it is less expensive than the other powders and does the job. I reserve my more expensive 20/28 powder for my 28 ga Skeet loads since the 20/28 powder fits so well in the smaller hull.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
20 gauge reloading powder
20 gauge windjammer wads
20ga reloads with unique
best 20 ga hulls for reloading
best powder for 20 gauge reloading
best powder for reloading 20 gauge
light 20 gauge reloads

orange duster 20 ga wads