1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 gauge quandry

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by splitshot, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. splitshot

splitshot TS Member

im looking to get my 13 year old son into trapshooting,im wanting to start him with a 20gauge, i know the wingmaster is a better choice but would a standard 870 work just as well? if so what options as far as the standard 870 would you reccomend as far as choke tubes and etc. would you reccomend thank you for any help you could give. scott g.

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

A 12ga with light loads would be a better choice. He'll need to upgrade to a 12ga soon anyway, so why waste time with a temporary gun that makes it hard for him to get good scores? Countless little kids, younger than yours, shoot 12ga.

Respectfully,

Gary

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Size is probably more of a factor than age. Has he been shooting at all? Are you thinking registered trap, or just recreational trap? 870 Express is just a less polished version of the Wingmaster. They function the same. 20 gauges are lighter than the 12 gauges, which makes them easier for the shooter to hold up, but also kick more becuase they are light. If he is a good sized 13 year old, or getting ready for a growth spurt, I would look for a 12 gauge semiauto that fits him, and he can hold up (Beretta, Browning, Remington). Get a shell catcher for it, and put in a modified choke to start, with a full choke to use as he gets better and moves back on the pad. Use 1 oz loads, or reload light loads. Mark

4. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

PM sent

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Lightweight 20 ga guns are often unpleasant for youths to shoot.

Look for a good, used 20ga 1100 LT-20 or 1187, and shorten the stock.

Flush advice to get kids of that age a 12ga. The issue is one of physical stature. A smaller 20ga will have less weight and girth to it. I see far too many kids trying to hold up a 12ga, arching their backs backwards to try to compensate for the weight. Get them a 20 ga now and when the time comes then go for a 12ga. They'll probably want to keep the 20ga for upland. That's what my son did.

Also, the 20ga 1100 and 1187 will cycle cheap promo loads like from Mao Mart. These are 2.5 dram 7/8 oz loads. Recoil is very low in the 20ga gas autos. The 12ga autos will not cycle a 12ga load this light without modification, and loads that light are not factory loaded anyway for 12ga.

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Size is a big deal but also peer pressure

If he is shooting SCTP with his school and he is the only one shooting 20 gauge- you might have a significant issue= just consider that

Regards from Iowa

Gene

PS_ I do think the 1100 series Remingtons will make you happier regardless of gauge

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Long time ago (1960s) I had a 20ga Wingmaster that was built on a 12ga frame, if memory serves me correctly it only weighed 4-6 oz less than a 12ga. If your 13yo can handle a WM I too would suggest the 12ga, just load him some lite 7\8oz shells (same 7\8 as in a 20). Choke kinda depends on what he will be shooting, bbl length? The weight will only be a couple oz different between 26--28--30 so again what will he be shooting. Another thing to consider is a LW 20 may give a more sharp recoil sensation. Lots of things to consider. Try as many guns & gun X load combos as possible 1st and remember he will GROW. Ross Puls

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The gun Ross refers to is a long out of production full size 20ga built on the 12ga action.

Weight difference is considerably more than a "couple oz" between an 1100 LT-20 or 1187 20ga and a 12ga 1100 or 1187. These guns are built on the smaller 28ga/.410 action.

If you're in the Portland area I'll be happy to let your son try a 20ga 1100 LT-20 or 1187.

9. archangel

archangel Member

Went through this with my grandson. My 2 cents 12 g. 28 inch o/u or 1100 with 26 or 28 inch or a youth trap gun like a Browning bps or beretta. More important may be the lop and the comb height, a mc stock or ad comb. Then if the gun weighs to much have him shoulder it every night to develope strength. My grand son uses an 1100 with 26 inch barrel Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.