1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 Gauge O/U with Double Release Triggers????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Easystreet, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I might be in the market for a nice (but not too expensive) 20 gauge O/U shotgun with double release triggers. Has anyone here tried one of these guns? What are your thoughts on it?

Most of the time I shoot 1 ounce loads in my 12 gauge, and wouldn't mind shooting 7/8 ounce loads if I could find good ones with reasonable velocities and prices. I know I could reload some of these loads and have reloaded a few, but lately reloading has become more of a chore to me and less interesting than it used to be.

I just thought that I could buy a good used 20 gauge O/U (preferably with double release triggers already installed) and would have no trouble finding factory loaded 7/8 ounce loads for it.

It would also be great for sporting clays and skeet shooting. Of course, I know that no one here shoots skeet, but I was just sayin' (wink).

Comments? Ideas?

Easystreet

2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I don't think you are going to find a whole lot of small gauge O/U's that have release triggers alraedy in them. A friend did pickup a 28 ga Beretta w/ releases and he uses it for sporting w/o a glitch. I shot a pair w/ it and broke them both, to my surprise. I'm not sure whose releases they are but if you're interested I'll find out.

3. Easystreet

Hitapair,

Yes, I'd like to find out a bit more info about which type of 20 gauge Beretta it is (686, 687, etc) and who installed the release triggers. Approx cost of the trigger job would be good to know too. Thanks.

Easystreet

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

What's the reason you want to use 7/8 oz? Less cost or less recoil? You'll not find either by using a 20 ga O/U.

There's only one reasons why I shoot small ga. guns: Light weight to carry in the field. With the lighter weight of a 20 ga. gun, 7/8 oz load will kick more than 1 oz from a 12 ga.

20 ga. 7/8 oz load will not pattern better than 12 ga 7/8 oz loads. And the price for 20 ga. factory loads are not cheaper than 1 oz. 12 ga. loads.

Unless you have other reasons, I see very little sense to buy a 20 ga. gun just because the 7/8 oz loads.

5. Easystreet

Steve W,

I think my reasons are recoil, gun weight, and availability of reasonable velocity (i.e. 1200 fps) 7/8 ounce loads.

While it's true that a 20 gauge MAY kick more than a 12 gauge if the 20 gauge is light enough, for guns of equal weight a 7/8 ounce load at 1200 fps will kick less than a 1 ounce load at 1200 fps.

Second, in order to keep recoil at a manageable level in 12 gauge, I'm limited in the weight of gun I can shoot. In fact, I add weight to my 12 gauge guns to help dampen recoil. With a 20 gauge, I could shoot a lighter and easier to maneuver gun while having the same or less recoil.

Third, as I said, 7/8 ounce loads at 1200 fps are very hard to find in 12 gauge while they are readily available in 20 gauge.

Some shooters may not pay much attention to recoil, but yet I read post after post on this board about people spending THOUSANDS of dollars for recoil taming devices to install on their 12 gauge guns. Seems to me it would just be easier to drop down to a 20 gauge unless a shooter really NEEDS a gun capable of shooting 1 ounce or 1 1/8 ounce loads.

Of course, a shooter could always drop down to the really light 1100 fps loads in 12 gauge, but that involves paying MORE for the shells and getting LESS performance on the targets.

Thanks for your questions. I appreciate the input.

Easystreet

6. Easystreet

I just found some Fiocchi 12 gauge shells with 7/8 ounce of shot at 1200 fps at Able Ammo (see link above). The price is $6.95 per box plus shipping. Might be worth checking into.

Easystreet

7. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

It sounds to me like you are trying to do this the cheapest way you can, right? It will cost you around $500.00 minimum to install release triggers in an over/under.

Why don't you go with a 20 guage semi-auto ??? Beretta's and Remington's are readily available and you can have a release installed for a few hundred dollars. I personally have a Beretta 20 guage with a release trigger, it works very well together.

Spears is a good source for release triggers for either the Beretta or Remington 20 guage release triggers.

Walmart is a good source for 1200 fps 20 guage shells in either 8's or 7 1/2's, here in Payson, Arizona you can buy a four pack of Winchester Univerals for $20.97 plus tax and they are good shells.

Tom Strunk

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

If its recoil thats hurting you try some Win. AA Lite powder. You will get some excellent loads in 7/8 oz. and l oz. at some very slow speeds, much more so that you can get with the normal loads with clays,red dot.,700X. and others. Look-em up at Hodgdon.com and see for yourself. I know you don't like reloading anymore, but if you don't like recoil what else can you do. Only other option is have Briley put in a set of tubes to shoot with and that will just add weight to gun that you don't like already, but will tame recoil. Get a PFS maybe?? Good Luck and Break-em all. JEff

9. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

I have a very nice 20 ga.Browning 30" O/U with release triggers and Briley Tubes 28ga. & .410.(choke tubes for all barrels) with a case. Adj. comb and butt plate. Sweet Gun. Interested? Send me a private message. I'm at the Grand now. Glenn

10. randy-s

randy-s Member

Beretta 682X Trap O/U, has double release triggers by Spears, $1900. Also a complete set of sub gauge skeet tubes and a carrier barrel in Americase, $1250.00. Top single barrel, $600. PM if interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

double trigger 20 gauge

shooting skeet with double triggers