1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 gauge model 12 trap????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Holeinmypattern, Jan 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holeinmypattern

Holeinmypattern TS Member

I went to the local gun shop today to check on a 870tb I had heard about (turned out to be overpriced junk) and I noticed a very nice model 12 in the rack. The owner handed it to me and I started slobbering right away. It was in very good shape, it has a silver pigon on each side of the reciever. It also had very pretty wood. I was going to buy it on the spot then I noticed that it was a 20 gauge. Did they make a 20 trap model or is this something put together. Does $800 sound to high for such a critter? I've been wanting a nice model 12 but I would rather have a 12 gauge!

John

2. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

Has to be...smoker

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Silver inlays alot of times mean Japanese engraving. If its tasteful and has good wood and at least 26 inch barrel length. even no rib . its still reasonable. Jeff

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

John, if your not serious on buying this gun I would appreciate the owners name/shop and a phone number. You can PM it to me if you'd like.

5. Holeinmypattern

I dont think this is a browning clone. I have never seen engraving like this on a browning but I The barrel was full choke 26" with double beads. I'm going to go back in the morning and take a better look at it. I'll take some pics and post them for you guys to look at. -john

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I have the plain version Browning Model 12 in 20ga. The rib is fairly high at the rear, and tapers down towards the muzzle, giving it the impression that it's a target shotgun. I shot trap with mine for about a year, but it really needs a straight comb stock for that, not a field stock. Mice upland gun. I only wish it had screw in choke tubes, but at least it's a mod.

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Everything I read Trap grade guns were 12 ga. only

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Trap started out as a grade . Winchester even offered Trap grade model 42's. Jeff

9. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Winchester also made a 16ga standard trap.

10. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Price is always relative; if it is high to one, it is reasonable to another. Search gunbroker for closed auctions and see what they may have sold for, or what the starting price is for active auctions.

It could be worth twice that. I just bought a 98% 1957 Model 12 in 20 ga with a Simmons rib and a mod choke for approximately that price. It is a luxury but I couldnt leave it there. This dealer doesnt mark up a lot over his paid price so I don't feel short and 1957 was a very good year for ME.

11. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

Bruce ,,I have a 20 gauge model 12 ,,it is maked trap and has a solid rib ,,I was told it was made for Women and kids ,,It has nice wood and trap type forearm om it ,,was told they only made them for 4 years ,,,,,My model 12, 28 gauge browning has gold not silver on the sides ,,,D Lang

12. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Youre talking about the junior Trap model. Short lenght of pull and a Jostam pad. Jeff

13. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Where is Pacman?! He can tell you from his books! "Trap" was a grade and did not necessarily mean it was a "trap" gun as you and I think of as a trap gun! Yes, they made 20 guage and 16 guage in "trap" grade. Better wood, certainly usually checkered, usually some form of rib etc! Tom Rhoads

14. Holeinmypattern

here it is-john

15. Holeinmypattern

16. Holeinmypattern

I went back to look at it this morning. ended up buying it. It has a simmons rib on the barrel. It isnt marked trap anywhere on it although it has trap wood. On the left side of the reciever is a silver pheasant and on the right is a silver quail. I took several pics of it but I am having trouble getting them to upload to photobucket. The serial on it was 242xx anyone know how old this might be? Also it IS a winchester not a browning. I will try to get some more pics up later. Thanks! John

17. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

That is a very early gun. I'm sure it has a 2.5" chamber unless it has been opened up. Check the chamber length B4 shooting it w/ 2.75" shells.

18. Holeinmypattern

19. Holeinmypattern

this is the last one!

20. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Buy it .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap gun 20 ga or 12 ga