1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 gauge hulls

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Are the cheap Winchester/Federal/Remington 20 ga. hulls suitable for reloading. I have no experience in reloading 20 ga hulls. I would appreciate any help.

ec90t

2. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I have had good success with the Universal (Winchester), Federal/Estate hulls, as well as the 6 and 8 crimp Remington Gun Club. I load all of them once and let them fly as they are so abundant. I have good success with Herco (17gr.) Rem. Power Piston wad and 7/8 oz. shot. Also 14 grs. of Green Dot works well also. FD

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I use the Remington Game hulls in both 12 and 20 ga. The 20 ga works fine with my load of 16.0 Universal, RXP20 wad, Nobel Sports primer, and 7/8 oz shot. They also work fine with Orange Duster, Rem 209P primer, and 16.5 gr Unique (also 7/8 oz shot).

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Thanks guys!

I've reloaded a lot of 12 ga. hulls and I like the Remingtons the best for them. It looks like I will be buying the Remingtons. I do like how the Winchesters shot though.

ec90t

5. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

I have better results with Rem Gun Clubs and the Sport loads than the Rem STS`s and Win AA hulls so thats what I stick with .

6. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

Interesting thread! Here is my question. Is there any published data concerning the reloading of Remington Gun Club hulls?

I've heard that you can reload these hulls by using the same data for Remington STS hulls. Has anyone verified this with reliable published data?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Dave

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

dbart1948,

My Hodgdon manual states that Remington RXP, Premier, and STS shells ca all be reloaded the same. I would say that it encompasses the Gunclub hull as well. It looks like all of the 20ga hulls that Remington makes.

ec90t

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rem all the way

Gene

9. rip

rip TS Member

Eric,
    I load a lot of 20's for hunting and a little skeet. The hulls you first mentioned will all work but I would use once and pitch. I love STS 20's and usually load 1oz. with them to ID. them. The old AA are great and a small adjustment may be necessary for you to load the new AA's. I am lucky to be well blessed with thousands of the last two. If you need to try some call me. The Gun Clubs will load the same as the Rems. Good luck. RIP
    Gerry Rippy

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Thanks Gerry. I picked up a sweet little 20 ga. sxs and was wondering what shells to buy. I know that I'll want to start reloading down the road.

ec90t

11. DocJim

DocJim Member

One of the Remington cases of which you speak is marked "Remington High Velocity."
    It is a ribbed case and if you cut it you will find it is compression formed, no base wad. I load this case with Unique and there is data in in the manual that specifies you can use the same receipe as in the STS since it is a "compression formed case." I have loaded these cases several times with no problem except they work a little hard at at the deprime/rezize station in my 600 jr. Also you need a 6 point crimp starter.

Jim G

12. rip

rip TS Member

Eric,
    If you start loading the 20's, I love the Mec sizemaster for low volume loading. Easy to change from 1oz to 7/8s. And you can't screw up. A big plus with me. You can laugh now.
    RIP

13. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Sorry Rippy,

I started laughing to soon! Only because I was just remembering the mess that I made the other day. Excuse me while I go get a paper towel to clean the coffee off of my computer!

ec90t

14. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

ec90t, you may want to do some shooting with your little SxS before stocking up on too much ammo. I have a light little 20 BSS that will kick the heck out of me with anything even approaching a heavy load. I shoot it in competition sometimes & always use a light 3/4 oz load when I do so. A light weight SxS is just a different critter when it comes to recoil....good luck!

15. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Hunter44,
    The recoil of the 7/8oz load wasn't bothersome at all. The gun wears a plastic butt plate and a curved stock. I'm going to drop the gun off tonight to cure that problem.

The only time that the recoil got my attention was when the gun doubled. I pulled the back trigger first on one station because The first bird was a farther shot. That problem will also be addressed when I drop the gun off.

As far as shells, I also have a bps 20ga. It gets to shoot the heavier shells. It handles the 3" shells and the 2 3/4" 1oz loads well.

ec90t

16. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

I have never changed a crimp starter in a 20 or 12 ga . The 8 point crimp is in both machines and the 6 point hulls crimp just fine .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

20 ga hulls for reloading

20 gauge hulls for reloading

20 gauge rxp hull identification

20gauge hull identification
reloading remington 20 gauge gun club
reloading the remington express 20 gauge hull
remington 20 gauge hulls
what wad to reload remington gun club 20 gauge hulls