1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 gauge and Red Dot! Or how about Clays?!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by NJCOP, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

Okay please don't laugh to hard but I use Unique for 12 , 20 and pistol. It's filthy but it works in all venues. I am going over to either Red Dot or Clays as frankly they are cheaper to shoot as you use about 25% less powder and either one is a bit cleaner to shoot that Unique.

Does anyone have a load for Red Dot or Clays for 20ga with either a 7/8 or 1 oz shot load. Alliant doesn't show 20 ga Red Dot load. Any help would be appreciated.

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

You will never ever see a Red Dot recipe for 20 ga because the pressures are much too high with this fast burning powder. Alliant removed Green Dot from the safe recipes for 20 ga as well.

3. billn

billn Member

I use Blue Dot with the one ounce load, it works great, see recipe. 1250 FPS , SP20 wads, Win 209 primers, Winchester shells

4. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

What about Clays?

5. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

OKAY THIS THREAD IS OVER. I wanted to simplify things with one powder but it ain't gonna work unless I stick with Unique. I saw the pressures attributed to Red Dot in 20 gauges and well it's darn near 11,000. I'll use the remainder of my 8 lb jug of Unique for the 20. Buy an 8 pounder of Clays for the 12 and pistol and come up with something for the 20 when the Unique runs out.

Sorry to waste everone's time.

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

You didn't waste anyone's time, it is a good idea to remind people especially new shooters about the safety requirements of reloading.

7. Jack R

Jack R TS Member

Hello all..been using 12.1 grs of red dot with 7/8 load in AA hulls for some time..dont recall where I found the data...I did see it in print somewhere..I DONT experiment with loads...will have to check my paper work and find out where it came from.....Jack

8. Jack R

Jack R TS Member

Hello all..been using 12.1 grs of red dot with 7/8 load in AA hulls for some time..dont recall where I found the data...I did see it in print somewhere..I DONT experiment with loads...will have to check my paper work and find out where it came from.....Jack

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Waaaayyyy back in the olden days ... lots of skeet guys loaded 3/4 oz of #9s in front of 12 or 12.5 grains of Red Dot.

Never heard of a gun blowing up.

10. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

Waaaayyyy back in the olden days

I'm not that young. How far back are we talking? Another thing; there wasn't like 100+ powders around some time back. I do remember that Alliant use to have a Red Dot load for 20s back about 25 years ago but it ain't printed anymore!

I remember when we use to just take out the flask of black powder, threw in a scoup, a card and some shot, capped the damn nipple and pulled the ole trigger. Not really but it sounded good.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Your gun, your face.

Do whatever you want.

You might be able to do the one powder thing with Universal. (I don't know how it works in pistols.)

HM

12. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

HM

Yes you can do 1 powder in all three with Unique much like you can load anything from a 223 to a 308 with H335. I saves you from having to store a load of containers and buying a dozen different powders. Don't worry I've been reloading for 45 years and have yet to have a problem. that's why I ask when I can't find a local answer.

13. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I've had good luck with Universal in 40 S&W.

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

What Mike said...Universal Clays is what you want ...regular Clays is as fast as RedDot and will never be safe in a 20 bore...nothing wrong with Unique and it really wont save you much if any money to switch

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Green Dot works great in 12 & 20 guage shells and can be used in most all pistol calibers. Low pressure and low price. HMB

16. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

International Clays is the only powder I found that works good with the 12 and 20 gauge loads. It is a little slow burning for light 12 gauge, but the 1-1/8th oz loads work ok.

17. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

Just remember that in "the good ole days" shells were all paper or were plastic with a paper basewad, no one piece "compression formed" hulls existed. Also all guns were all steel, aluminum insert tubes were years away. Fast burning powders could be used in those kinds of hulls safely in a gun with a steel chamber. Times have changed though...

Terry

18. Jack R

Jack R TS Member

checked my records..load came from a 1992 hercules reloading guide..AAhull..7/8 load..WWAA20 wad..12.0 grs red dot..11,900 psi.. been using this load in an Ithaca pump,NEF single shot & sears bolt action...dont know, not safe by todays standards? will check current ALLAINT data..ps winchester primer...Jack

19. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

Thanks everyone for the input!

20. Jack R

Jack R TS Member

there is a mistake in my last post..psi is 10900 not 11900 as stated..fat fingered key board again..Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
red dot in 20 gauge
20 gage red dot load
20 gauge red dot load
20 gauge red dot reloads
red dot 20 gauge loads

red dot 20ga recipes

red dot for 20 gauge
red dot reloading recipes 20 gauge