1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

20 gauge 1 oz. loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tallpaul, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

I'm curious if anyone has had good luck loading 1 ounce 20 gauge loads using Longshot powder. I see there are recipes for it, but has anyone done any patterning of a particular load with any success? I'm more interested in this load for skeet than I am for long distance trap shooting, so 24 yards would be the optimum distance for patterning. For those of you that do shoot these loads, how would you compare the recoil to a 12 gauge 1 ounce load? Thanks in advance for your input.
  2. hmb

hmb Active Member

7/8th ounce of # 9s is more than enough for skeet. Any more and you will have to deal with increased recoil. HMB
  3. wolfram

wolfram Active Member

I make 1 oz 20 guage loads with HS6 for hunting with #6 or larger shot. Never tried longshot but it would probably work as well. I don't think this is what you want for skeet because they recoil like a 12 guage target load and you would be breaking the rules. Besides, 7/8 Oz of #8 or #9 will kill skeet targets with ease, no need to push the envelope with this one.
  4. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

7/8's gets it done on the skeet field just fine. Most of the time I shoot 3/4 oz loads for skeet in the 20 but go to 8's not 9's. 9's are best used for buffer or weight in trunk of a car for traction in the winter time. That said I have loaded some 1 oz 20's with long shot for hunting and they work alright but I prefer winchester 571 or HS7
  5. Matt Stockwell

Matt Stockwell TS Member

I have used Longshot for 1 oz target loads, but have not done any pattern testing. I never got around to pattern testing because it only took one time on the skeet feild to realize how bad that load kicked in a light 20 ga gun. I do use Long shot for 7/8 oz loads, and even with that I have backed off to the bare minimum powder charge to get a comfortable recoiling load. I am using sts hulls, rem primers, AA20 wads and 17.3 grains of longshot. It is a comfortable load at 1250 fps. Be very carful loading that stuff. It is the densest fine grain powder I have ever used. Even on a PW 800+ it is common to get a powder charge that is a full grain over what you are loading if the powder has had a chance to settle. It is not that clean burning either. The only reason that I use it, is to get 1250 fps loads for sporting clays. For the skeet field it will be no benefit at all. Hodgdon Universal is actually a much better 20 ga powder if you don't have to have loads at 1250 and above.

Good luck,
    Matt
  6. timb99

timb99 Active Member

A better suggestion might be to use Hodgdon Universal Clays and 7/8 ounces of shot at about 1200 fps.
  7. jandbburch

jandbburch Member

Paul,

I have been using Longshot for both 7/8 and 1 ounce loads in skeet for over a year now. The recoil in a tubed 10 pound Kolar is not bad at all. I use two .007 "skeet" chokes, Federal hulls, a Federal 20S1 wad, Federal 209A primer, 8 1/2 or 9 shot, and the load right out of the Hodgdon manual. The pattern for this load at 20 yards is very even with no holes. So far this year I have shot 600 12 ga. registered targets with this load and have missed two birds, a high one and a low eight option.....whose fault was that???? I honestly believe that I could have shot the same scores with the 7/8 ounce load, but I have great confidence in the 1 ounce load and know that there is not a bird it won't break. (Except for the occaisional high one/ low eight!) Shoot well!!

Regards, Jim
  8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I just checked. There is a J.Burch listed at mynssa.com, and he does have a great 12 gauge average this year.
  9. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

Thanks for all the input. I asked the question because I was given 4+ pounds of Longshot powder, and am trying to figure out what to do with it. I normally shoot 20 gauge in 12 gauge registered events using 7/8 loads. I shoot my 682 better than my 12 gauge Teknys, and figured I'd still be legal in the 12 gauge event with a 1 ounce 20 gauge load. To take the tubes out and install the matching weight on the barrels to shoot the 682 as a straight 12 gauge is a pain in the a$$. Just trying to keep it simple and streamlined. Thanks again guys...
  10. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Like they said above. No reason to reload 1 ounce loads for skeet in a 20 gauge. There are a lot of shooters that actually score better with the 7/8's ounce load even in the 12 gauge events. There are 512 pellets in the 7/8's ounce load of no. 9's. More than enough. Longshot is a good powder for 1 ounce loads or fast 7/8's ounce loads in 20 gauge. Save it for that. You would want one ounce of pheasants. You could also use the one ounce loads on the trap field or for sporting clays. Many will tell you that the 7/8 ounce pattern better. But if you use the right choke you can get 1 ounce loads to pattern good in a 20 gauge too. Longshot is a dirtier powder than Universal, Unique or 20/28 powder. Not that important unless you are shooting an auto.
  11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I've used Longshot for 1 oz 20 ga, as I recall running about 1220 fps.......great load. I don't remember the recipe off-hand but FWIW it used the now un-available WAA20F1 (yellow) wad so unless you've got a supply of those wads the recipe'd be useless to you anyway.

John C. Saubak
  12. SKeet Guy

SKeet Guy TS Member

Go with Universal Clays. That way you can use the same powder for your 20 and 28 gauge loads. They have several recipes listed on their website. They let you specify your case. primer, wad and amount of shot. Regards, Bob
  13. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

You can build an awsome fast 7/8 oz dove hunting book load with the stuff. Patterns fine.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.