1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 ga TRAP LOAD - for Grandson

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Fraz, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fraz

Fraz TS Member

At one time I reloaded 20 ga and still have my old Mec Press, I believe I used Green dot. Want to start the grandson shooting trap and don't want to spin him around or make his eyes bobble the first time out. What powder,wad & primer do you suggest, I now use Winchester primers. I need to get a good soft load that will get the job done. Thanks Fraz

2. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

What kind of gun? The wrong 20 gauge, i.e. a light, fixed breech gun, will certainly "spin him around or make his eyes bobble."

I never let my boys start shooting until they had the arm strength to properly hold and point a gun. And when I did start them, I took them to a public range that had youth model 1100s for them. That worked great.

Then the club got some youth model 20 gauge Brownings Citoris. I believe they were on-loan from Browning. By Golly they were cute! We tried them. The boys started complaining about recoil. Recoil from a 20? Nah! They kept complaining. I tried a couple of shots. I believe that's the worse I was ever kicked on a shotgun target range.

As far as loads, Green Dot is NOT recognized as a good 20 gauge powder these days.

As for loads, check here:

http://alliantpowder.com/

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

And if circumstances demand a light, fixed breech 20, as in that's what you have, consider the 3/4 ounce loads at those sites. They work great for skeet. Dunno about trap.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

1oz of shot @ 1200 fps is the same energy, no matter the gauge. I have a 870 20gauge I let people i dont like try that gun. A good fitting 12g with light loads works much better. Check above site,

4. bigbubba

bigbubba TS Member

Good advice above.

My first shotgun as a kid was a 20 ga. single shot. Man, did that thing kick...taught me a proper gun mount though! When I started my son shooting a few years ago, I made the same mistake as my father by using a fixed breech 20. He is now on the sideline...I don't want to push him, but I feel the recoil was a major factor in him stopping.

Maclellan1911 has it right...the same payload at the same fps will have the same recoil no matter the gauge. And, with a 20 ga. gun being lighter, you will actually end up with more FELT recoil as the gun is absorbing less.

Find a skeet shooter (I know, wrong website) and shoot a 12 ga. with 28 ga. inserts...that's a sweet gun to shoot. And, start on the skeet field. My son had difficulty on the trap range at first. In skeet you know exactly where the target will be each time. Just a thought.

Right now, I am starting my daughter shooting (10 yrs. old), I am following Bob Brister's process he followed to teach a young teenage girl to shoot in his book: Shotgunning - the Art and the Science. If you don't have the book, it's a good read! I would loan you mine, but I need it right now. Someone on here may have a copy to sell or lend.

Good luck. Teaching a kid to shoot is a lot of fun!!!!

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Fraz, that crap about Green Dot not being a usable powder for 20 ga is spouted by Skeeters who use tubes. It will work fine in a 20 ga barrel. The Alliant web site shows two loads at 1050fps and 1150fps with very reasonable pressures. They also show light loadings for Unique.

Remember, the recoil from the 1050fps Green Dot load is 11.89ft/lb in a 6.4 pound field gun. It's around 15ft/lb for an 1150fps load, so use a heavier gun to soak some of it up.

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I way prefer Win SuperField in 20ga. Shoots soft, very clean and beautiful patterns

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

For the youth shootng class at Markham in S. Florida we supply 20ga, 7/8th oz # 7.5 & 8 shot. Most of the guns are 20ga Winchester & Remington pump guns. No complaints from the 10-18 yo shooters about recoil.

Eric

8. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

Winchester AA hull, 12 grains of green dot, winchester primer, orange duster wad and, 3/4 ounce of #8's soft in any gun. About the Green dot in the 20, people say you MUST always follow follow published reloading data. There are still loads published using green dot in the 20 gauge enough said.

9. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

The load I posted will crimp fine without filler if you use the orange duster wad as it's cushion section is slightly longer than wincheter AA20 wads

10. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

Just checked the alliant website and green dot loads with 7/8's are still listed

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Wasn't Green Dot a tad dirty...even after the formula change to clean it up a few years back??

12. Fraz

Fraz TS Member

Hey folks - Thanks for all your interest, you gave me a lot to think about I have decided instead of Green dot to use Alliant's 20/28 powder 15.5 gr Win primer, 7/8-8s with Rem wad. Thanks Fraz

13. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I am teaching my 13 year old grand daughter trap shooting. She has a 12 gage 1100 with a 26" barrel and a stock about an inch and 1/8 off the back. I incorperated an 870 but pad on it for her. She does very well with it. And she likes it very much Her loads are 15.5 grains Red Dot 1 oz. #8, Claybuster wad for 1 oz. shot. This is for 16's and Doubles right now. We will probably go to 16 grains Red Dot for handycaps. But that will be a little later on. Or when ever she feels she is ready to shoot handycaps. Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.