1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 ga sts load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 686, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686

686 TS Member

i am loading on a 366 20 ga loader. with the deep powder base in a rem. sts hull, what powder and wad do you use with a 7/8 OZ load ? my crimp falls in a little too much. i am using win wsf powder with rp wad . i know this is a low volume powder. i have some unique but have not loaded it yet. trying for 1200 fps.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Unique is probably one of the most if not the most high volume powders you can use. That is what you need to get level crimps. I use universal myself, and the crimps can be a touch deep, but nothing horrible, and I'm too in love with the load to change. The STS hull is high volume, the RXP20 is low volume, so you need a bulky powder and a full charge of shot...

3. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

In the Alliant book is a load that I use a lot in the 20ga. STS and AA hull.
    The book says it goes 1200 FPS but I have not chronographed it.

15gr. Unique/Rem.RXP power piston 7/8 oz. wad/ Win.,Rem. or Cheddite primer.
    The AA wad loads here also but has higher pressure and does not load as well.

This is a easy loading and shooting load that breaks clays well with 8 or
    8 1/2 shot.

4. grouse 1970

grouse 1970 Member

Try alliant 20/28 powder 15.5 for 1200 fps and 16.5 for 1250 to me awsome on 16 yard trap 7/8 oz 8 1/2 shot and use a claybuster clone for win. but only use on very ligth wind days and not to good in the cold

5. skeet_man

20/28 is not a good choice in STS hulls unless you load them on the hot side. Way too many off sounding shells if loaded to 1200 fps.

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Very Interesting as I have heard that 20/28 is a very good powder for the 28 ga., but there are way better powders for the 20 ga. loads. Break-em all. Jeff

7. skeet_man

I even had trouble with 20/28 in the 28ga (win aahs hulls, aahs wad). Lots (20-30%) off sounding shells. Switched back to Universal, problems went away. It's either a very "cool" powder, or is just hard to ignite...

8. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Surprised you have had problems with 20/28 in 28 ga with the components you described, skeet man. My experience is the opposite and wonder what reloader you are using?

9. johnboy

johnboy Member

Universal with remington wad, very soft shooting. I prefer STS's with the remington wad and Universal. Universal is also a very good power for the 28 gauge.

10. skeet_man

MEC 9000. My friend had the same problem with the 20s and he loads on a grabber. maybe the powder isn't cold weather friendly. I've loaded probably 100k shells in my life, and can count the bad ones on both hands, so I can confidently say it wasn't my press...

11. shrek

shrek Active Member

Interesting...

I have not had problems with 20/28 in 20 gauge loads in Rem hull yet in Wisconsin in winter or summer... I am using orange duster or windjammer wads and winchester primers.

12. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Be sure you are dropping the correct grains of powder. With your load, I believe it calls for 17.5 grains of WSF, using the Rem. wad, with Win. primer.

13. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

17 grains of IMR SR7625 with a RXP-20 Remington wad and 7/8 ounce of shot fits the STS hull very nicely.

Jim Skeel

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Jim, That powder of yours is alot more expensive than Universal or 20/28!!! What benifits are you getting with that powder??? Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

loading data on 20 gauge sts & wsf powder