1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 Ga. Remington Standard weight barrel problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I purchased a "new in box" 20 ga. skeet barrel for my standard weight Remington 1100 some time back.(several months) Foolish of me, perhaps, but until this evening I had not put the barrel on my gun. The barrel was packaged in the original Remington carton and I didn't give it a second thought as I had a barrel on the gun and it was functioning without any problems. I bought the skeet barrel as a backup to the barrel that I had.

When I put the "unfired" skeet barrel on the gun the bolt wouldn't close all the way. When I took the barrel off the magazine tube rings and the o-ring were up inside the barrel lug. The rings fit so tight I had to use a punch to get them back out. The ring closest to the receiver is the one that is sticking. The second metal ring floats freely.

I didn't have this issue with the other barrel nor with other 1100's I have - one 12 ga. and one 28 ga. I haven't tried to mic the I.D. of the two barrel lugs but there must be a difference or this issue wouldn't be occuring. Is it possible the barrel I purchased is for an 1100 Lt. Wt receiver ? If so, I certainly overpaid for it. The only thing I've changed is the barrel.

The other possiblity, I suppose, is that I have a magazine tube ring that is not standard size but just happens to work with the barrel that I had on the gun and will not now work with the skeet barrel.

I am quite certain the receiver I have is a standard weight. The serial number ends with an X.

Any 1100 experts have an idea re: the issue I've encountered.

Thanks in advance.

2. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

You have a PM.

Steve Nunley
    Albuquerque, NM

3. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I mic'd the inside of the barrel lugs on both guns. One barrel lug is 1.243" I.D. T.he barrel lug is 1.256" Just enough to cause the magazine tube ring to "stick" I guess.

Any suggestions ? Is it possible the ring is out of tolerance ? Either that or the barrel lug on the skeet barrel is "tighter" and won't allow the rings to slide in and out ?

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Put new rings in when you use the new barrel. If that fixes the problem, keep those rings for use in the new barrel only. HMB

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

FYI it is not possible to have gotten the wrong barrel in your case. Standard weight magazine tubes are 12 guage size. For 3 thousandths I would get out the brake cylinder hone.

That said, I would assemble the gun without the rings and verify good manual operation, insuring that there is no alignment problem.

HM

6. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I had this happen on an 11-87 12 ga barrel. The piston rings would stick in the gas cylinder of a 30" mag barrel. My easy answer was to reach into my parts locker and found some rings that did fit. Thereafter I just kept those rings with the barrel. I suspect it was just a stackup of tolerances. In your case I think I would just buy some extra piston rings and dress them down to fit. They are cheaper than screwing up a harder to find Standard barrel.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

That's a good idea, and if you have other 12 guage 1100's try those rings.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.