1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 ga reloading ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Just started reloading 20 ga---Never did before---only did 12ga---
    I only use Red Dot pdr and went to my Alliant reloader guide and to my surprise there is no recipe for Red-Dot---only Unique---Herco---and Bluedot--

I find this strange---Need any recipes using Red Dot for 2 3/4 plastic - 7/8s---

I loaded some using my Mec loader with a #22 bushing---7/8 load---It put out 11 grains of Red-Dot with perfect crimp and shoots perfect---Just can't understand why no listing using the Red Dot

Thanks---George@SJB

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Red Dot is too fast a powder for 7/8 oz 20 guage loads. HMB

3. mag410

mag410 Active Member

There are no 7/8 ounce 20 gauge Red Dot or Green Dot loads in any modern loading manuals. Red Dot is too fast burning for the 20. Briley and Kolar got the Green Dot loads removed because they split the chambers on thier Skeet tubes.

Michael

4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I am loading 20 gauge right now, and am using Unique. Unique is also good for 12 gauge handicap loads. Mark

5. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I loaded up a box using the Red Dot---Shot a few out of my 20 ga superposed and they worked fine----Guess from the above info I'll be taking those shell apart and try to find Unique---

6. burtona

burtona Member

How do you experienced 20 gauge reloaders feel about IMR PB for the 20 gauge 7/8 oz. loads? I have an unopened large can I was saving for 12 gauge when I run out of Promo but I'd like to use something I've got rather than buy another 20 ga. powder. I've been using Unique but I'm out of it now.
    Dave

7. notarget

notarget TS Member

My copy of the 2011 Alliant manual lists 7/8 ounce 20 ga loads using Green Dot with Federal hulls. I find it works well with 3/4 ounce loads in Winchester and Remington hulls and have no reason to question Alliant's data for Federal. Red Dot is indeed too fast.

8. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I haven't used PB, but there are a number of recipes using it for 20 gauge 7/8 oz loads on the Hodgdon website, http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
    Mark

9. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I shoot what ben above uses, most likely the same loads. I recently picked up some Longshot to try to get a bit more speed. Looking to get around 1300 fps. A bit closer to an AA Sporting factory load. I'm sure it will work out fine.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Unique is great in 20 because its just so useful a powder to keep for handgun stuff too....My 20ga stuff has been loaded with Win Super Field and it throws awesome patterns and low pressure thats very easy on my 11-87 auto very clean too

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

WSF is the best 20 guage powder. HMB

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Unique was a good powder for me, chrony tests showed a very small deviation, about 15FPS.

I now use Hodgdon universal in 20 and 28. International works good, but it fills the case a little too much. It might be OK for Fed hulls.

I would try Alliant 20/28 if I get a chance.

HM

13. dvice

dvice TS Member

Wow. I understand the want to use what you have on hand but every powder has a use that it works good for with some loads on the fringe. If you would open a loading manual it will explain all of it to you. You can not put a fast burning powder in a 20g and expect to live to tell about it. Let me know where you plan to shoot these so I can make sure I am nowhere close to you. Find some Int Clays, PB, or something designed fo a 20 and live longer.
    Dave Vice

14. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Dave---If you would read above you'll see that I am going to take them apart.Only have 20 shells made---I did shoot 4 of them in my 20ga superposed and am still alive---That gun kind of liked them but I will not use them--

Happy New YR----George@SJB---

15. dvice

dvice TS Member

Sorry George
    I see all these threads about someone trying to made a load out of something that will not work and I just can't understand it. Why would you even think about putting RD in a load that there is not one published load for?
    Read and learn before you just stuff something in a hull.
    dave

16. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Dave---You are so right---I made a mistake and corrected it after only making 25 shells and shooting 4 in my back woods with no one around---Glad I went to my Alliant guide and saw there was no info for RD in 20ga---A light went off and I have ordered Unique---I think this was a mistake that can benifit many that may try the same thing---This thread has already been read by many and hope it might save some future problems---George@SJB

17. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

In some old Hercules manuals that I have they did list some Red Dot loads back in the 60/70's with Fed. cases.
    Unique is a very good powder for the 20 but so is PB.
    You should find plenty of data for PB around.

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I have a 1980 Hercules reloading manual that lists Red Dot 20 guage loads. HMB

19. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Depending on what you are looking for with the 20Ga ? I have been loading 11.6gr of Solo 1000 (19-20 bushings in a mec) for kids loads and they work fine . I loaded up to 13.2 gr for myself and thats fine too. I tried 700X but it`s too hot. I use 700X in all my 12ga loads and mainly shoot light a load as I feel comfortable with and thats a 406 bushing in a 366 - about 15.6gr ?? I don`t need anything more than that and I feel like I`m saving money too with 1 oz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
20 ga forum
20 ga reloading
20 ga reloading data
20 ga reloading forum
20 ga shotgun reloading data
20ga reloading
red dot reloading recipes 20 gauge

reloading 20ga