1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 ga reloading help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Never messed with 20ga reloading but with cabin fevor and some old components laying around I started loading with a mec 650---I'm using Rem hulls with Rem RXP wad --Fed 209A primers with a mec 7/8 502 charge bar with 15.6 gr of Unique powder----Here's my problem---7/8 gr of shot calls for 382.8 gr---
    My bar is putting out 355 gr (#8)Lawrence Mag shot which is about 20 BBs short
    If I use reclaim shot I'm around 367gr (10 to 12 BBs short)----
    I'm loading for nxt quail hunting season and need all the shot I can get---

Just wondering why it's not giving the right grains---Maybe I shouldn't have weighed it ----The crimp is perfect and I used 2 scales and both are the same.

Should I just forget it???George@SJB

2. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

George : In all honesty do you think the quail will notice the difference in getting hit by lets say 18 pellets or 22 pellets? Just load them the way they are. If it was larger shot I would say it may make some difference. Best way to find out,load a box and shoot a round of skeet. If your smoking targets ,there's you answer. Just one mans opinion,good luck..Ray

3. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Thanks Ray---I was just wondering---I broke open a new Rem 20 ga and the shot was on the money---The quail may not notice but my dog will---Guess I'm too fussy.At least I'll have something to blame the miss on-----George

4. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Magnum shot weighs less because of the Antimony and bigger shot weighs less than than the same volume of small shot because of the larger air space between shot. The bar was most likely set up for #9 soft shot, that way skeet shooters will not be over 7/8 oz.

Shoot some patterns at various yardage with various chokes to find the best choke to use.

Shooting Skeet would be more fun as Ray suggested, but if you are "smoking" the clays you may not have much quail left to eat if shot at skeet distances.

If you really need all the bb's, use a 12 ga loaded with #9's. ;)

Jason

5. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Thanks Jason----I use a superposed with fixed chokes---I never thought about the weight of mag shot vs soft---I'll stick to the reclaimed---It just gave me something to think about---I never weighed my trap loads----Now there it would make a difference---(20) BBs the way I shoot at times--Need all I can get--George

6. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

I use a step bit in my drill motor and open up the charge bars for each shot size I use. I buy and sell reloaders all the time and have accumulated a bunch of bars. The other option is to get a universal charge bar.

7. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

The crimp is good because the volume is correct from the bar, As stated the quail wont know the pellet count, You might see a difference in ballistics in FPS,

DGH

8. shrek

shrek Active Member

I am suprised your reclaimed weighs heavier than the news stuff.

When I used some reclaimed a couple years ago, due to the irregular shape it actually weighed less due to not packing/ settling as uniformly than the new did.

9. chemist

chemist Member

I just tried the same test- my reclaimed shot was light by an average of 28 pellets ( .05 oz) in a 1.0 oz load. Mec 9000 . I used new #8s in the same bar and it was only light by an average of 8 pellets. Since I do not hunt and only shoot trap I believe that those extra pellets won't make a big difference, cause when I miss I miss by a lot. It was an interesting trial- someone said it was due to oxide coating on the recycle, size variation, and shot composition differences. I can always learn something on this site.

thanks

rich k- chemist

10. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

MEC bars ALWAYS weight light. I think the only way you'd ever hit the stamped weight would be to use shot made from PURE lead, which doesn't exist.

11. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I have never in my 40+ years of reloading seen a MEC charge bar that doesn't throw light. I believe this is done for 1.) liability reasons and 2.) If a shooter is contested the shot charge won't be at/over the specified amount.

12. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I called Mec and they said I could take a drill bit and open the bottom part of the shot tube a little at a time to get the desired amt of shot---It's a trial as you go---I'm also going to open my bar that I use for Gold Medals to just fill up the concave part of the crimp---Mec agreed on that also----
    A few extra BBs can't hurt---Why not try perfect if possible??? Just fighting cabin fevor----George@SJB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.