1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 ga. reload

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jburger, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jburger

jburger TS Member

Guys I need some info on 20 ga reloads. Just starting my son out shooting and need a low recoil 7/8 oz. load. Thanks for your help.

Jeremy

2. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Having gone through 2 boys and now 3 grandson's I have found that there is more to introducing a young boy to shotgunning than "20ga. and low recoil". I found that the size and desire of the child is actually more important.

If the boy can lift a lighter weight 12ga. and has the desire to do it, a 7/8 or 3/4 oz. 12ga. load can actually produce a more comfortable recoiling load than a 20ga. Light 12ga. loads also generally produce better patterns. If your introduction centers around the Trap field, light load pattern is important.

Don't overlook a light 12 in your research.

IMHO,
    Kip

3. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

One ounce and the proper amount of PB in a twelve gauge is what my boys and wife started with. I highly recommend it.

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

Jeremy,

Look at on the on-line manual's for Alliant and Hodgdon.

A 12 ga is a better choice and you can load 7/8 oz at 950 FPS for a very light load using Win-Lite.

There are also "youth" loads with 3/4 Oz of shot for the 12 and 20 - see link.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Youth%20Loads.pdf

If you already have a 20 use it. The smaller shell will at least look like it should kick less, but a 12, with the same payload, will kick the same. The 12 is just more versatile and he will be shooting a 12 eventually.

Don Verna

5. jburger

jburger TS Member

I hate to try and put him in a 12 ga this soon but his 410 isn't getting the job done we went to the club last night and he shot 11,14,13 with his 20 ga.
    Since I just bought him the 20 we'll stick with that for a while and see how it works out. I know I grew outta my 20 real fast so I'm sure it won't be long......need to win the lottery!!!! LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.