1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 GA POWDER QUESTION

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Matt Stockwell, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Stockwell

Matt Stockwell Member

Trying to find powder options to reload 20 ga 7/8 oz loads at 1250-1300 fps. I am currently using sts hulls, rem 209 primers, waa20 wads, and 17.9 grains of longshot. That stuff is filthy, but does work well otherwise. Just trying to find out if there are any other options that I have overlooked. I did see that 20/28 can be loaded up to 1250, but don't know anyone that has tried it. Any opinions that you have would be great.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Reconfiguring your load with a hotter primer, such as the Fed 209A might clean up your load. Subbing the primer for the Federal and using 18.3 gr of Longshot with your components will give you an honest 1300 fps. This is a very brisk load.

Is there any reason you need 1300 fps? In a light, handy 20 ga gun, recoil is going to be substantial.

Alliant's 20/28 will indeed give several 1250 fps loads with modest chamber pressure.

The mentioned Longshot load is FULL THROTTLE.

3. Matt Stockwell

Matt Stockwell Member

Ikey - I checked the hodgdon web site and 16-16.5 grains of universal would have the load between 1200 and 1225. If I change wads to a Hor versalite or a Fed 20s1, I can get it up to 1250. The only problem is that I am sitting on a few thousand of the waa20 wads. I am sure that it is very clean. I load International Clays for my 12 ga loads and it is amazing how clean the barrels are.

Shooting Coach - I mainly shoot sporting clays, so the faster loads seem to help. I shoot my 12 ga with 1 oz loads at 1290 and 1 1/8 oz loads at 1250. I would like my 20 ga loads to be in that same speed range. And yes, the 20 ga loads with longshot do pack quite a punch. I may have to try some of the 20/28 the next time I order powder. The longshot 1250 recipe calls for 17.3 grains. Would dropping down the powder charge a little clean things up?

Thanks for the advice,
    Matt

4. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

I am using Alliant 20/28 in 20 ga. Works great. Make sure you are getting some wad pressure. I switched wads to DRV-20 which were shorter and forgot to check for at least some wad pressure and had some that sounded funny. Dropped the wad seater and they sounded fine. I have switched back to RXP-20 though since the DRV-20's are a little loose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.