1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 ga. model 12 questions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Cooper, Mar 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cooper

Cooper TS Member

My buddy was just given an old Model 12 that has been stuck in someones attic for years.( Always happens to someone else doesn't it !!) I have not seen it but he told me it has a nickle barrel. I was not aware they made 20 ga. Model 12's with nickle barrels so I couldn't venture a guess at the guns value. It sounds like a plain jane field grade in well used condition. Talking with the family who gave it to him they think it's from the 1930's. I will get the serial number at some point just so he knows for sure when it was made. He isn't lookig to sell it but would like an idea of its value. I know it's hard to value a gun without looking at it but he just wants a rough idea. What do you guys think it's worth? Just to finish the story my buddy "Lucky" (his new name) was actually given three guns. The Model 12, a 30/30 lever action rifle and a 22 rifle with a chipmunk carved in the stock. ( I'm really starting not to like him!!) Thanks for any input on the M 12. Cooper

2. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

The Mod 12 does have a nickle barrel but not what you think. The barrel is blued but not nickle finished. It has nikle in the metal. It all depends on the condition. Without seeing it it would be hard to say. The other two again we need more info.

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Winchester started with the 20 guage very early on. Some are decent, some are good, and some are not, like anything else. You can always find new wood to clean up and enhance the gun if you like. Have fun with it,Bob

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Cooper, when the model 12 was introduced it was in 20 gauge only, 1912-1913. Then in 1914 the 12 and 16 gauges were added to the line. 20 and 16 gauges before 425,000 serial should be checked for either 2-1/2 or 2-9/16 chambers. About serial number 427,000 the new Winchester Proof steel appeared. Jeff

5. Cross hair

Cross hair TS Member

From what I have seen 20 ga. model 12s bring a pretty good dollar even if they are kind of rough. I saw one recently for $850.00, doesn't mean it was worth that but that was the price. Get the serial number so you can a least determine age, or post a picture if you can.

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I know of at least one 12ga model 12 that is stamped "model 1912"....don't know when it was made...my model 12- 20ga started out as a field grade and was reblued with bolt and follower jewelled and a Simmons rib installed by Northview Gun Specialties in Ontario (no longer in business I think) and fitted with original Winchester Pidgeon Grade wood...it's beaut and a great shooter and will be passed down to my son and grandson.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.