1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 ga. lot with Red Dot powder????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dkimbler, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkimbler

dkimbler TS Member

Is there a load for a 20 ga. with red dot powder? I am told that you can't use Red Dot for 2o ga. Please explain.

Thanks

David

2. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

David:

Ross is correct. Red Dot burns to fast for 20 gauge reloads and creates dangerously high chamber pressures. Even the slower burning Green Dot is too fast.

Do yourself a favor. Stick with one of the many slower powders appropriate for your 20 gauge.

sissy

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Use a powder more suitable for the 20ga and forget about using fast powders like Red Dot. In some "special" circumstances, it may work, but you'd be far better off using a more appropriate powder for the 20 ga loads you wish to load.

4. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I was using 11.6 gr of 700X and that felt fine to me but not for youngsters then I went to 11.6 gr of Solo 1000 and that is a very nice load . Relatively no recoil so I`ve been boxing these loads up for my grandkids to use .

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I have been using 13.5 grains of Green Dot with 7/8 oz of shot. Works fine in a Win AA hull with a Win AA wad. HMB

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

15.5 of Unique is perfect. Only 15 FPS deviation when I chrony tested.

I am using Universal now because International was too bulky, and the Universal is 20 and 28 compatible.

HM

7. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Shoot the lowest pressure loads you can with Briley or Kolar tube sets. The 20 ga. tubes are relatively thin and they will eventually split if you insist on shooting fast burning powder/high pressure loads. Regular barrels are much more forgiving. Ron

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

RD is good for an A5 in the 20 I used 10gr and 1oz for many years didnt see any hard slams
    I bought a 8 lb and it worked for 38s to 12ga and several 100 30-30 30-06 didnt know they made other powder in the 70s

9. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

what were you shooting in the 30-30 and 06? Cast bullets, I hope?

10. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Fellow Reloaders:

A host of reputable industry sources produce reloading components. Most of them publish data as well. That's how the companies stay in business. It’s how their employees put bread on the table.

Nearly every reputable industry source includes WARNINGS about doing dumb stuff. I pay attention to industry recommendations and warnings for at least two good reasons:

1. Industry sources work with these issues every day. They are the most knowledgeable on the subject.

2. Their livelihood depends on safe and effective results.

When I have doubts about reloading, I look to reputable industry sources. So it was when I read Ricks1 post.

Our friend Ricks1 thinks Red Dot is just dandy pushing one ounce of shot from 20 gauge hulls. He also lists it for 30-30 and 30-06 center fire rifle cartridges.

Since these applications are beyond my experience, I looked at data from a number of Hercules and Alliant guides starting with data published Jan. 1970 and ending with 2008 data.

THERE ISN’T A SINGLE RECIPE FOR ONE OUNCE 20 GAUGE LOADS USING RED DOT.

THERE ISN’T A SINGLE RED DOT RECIPE FOR 30-30 OR 30-06 USING JACKETED BULLETS.

The reloadersnest.com website has a burn rate chart for 267 powders. They are listed from fastest to slowest. The lower the number, the faster the powder. Red Dot is number 17 on the list. By comparison, Alliant’s powder Reloader #7 is number 146.

Reloader #7 is significant because it is the first powder listed by Alliant as appropriate for either 30-30 or 30-06. Even then it is only appropriate for the lightest of bullets. Other Hercules/Alliant powders appropriate for 30-30 and 30-06 include Reloader 10X, 15, 17, and 19, 22, and 25. On the burn chart they are numbers 163, 198, 222, 237, and 249 respectively.

Neither Hercules nor Alliant has listed Red Dot for a one ounce pay load in at least the past 40 years. Similarly, all of their data for 30-30 and 30-06 list MUCH slower burning powders.

Perhaps Ricks1 is correct. Maybe Red Dot is the best powder ever for these applications. However, before anyone tries this home brewed sh!t, do yourself a favor.

Ask Alliant first!

sissy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

20 gauge reloading red dot

20ga load with red dot

2oga red dot loads

can red dot be used in 20 ga reloading

hercules red dot powder reloading data 20 gauge

red dot for 20ga

red dot powder 20 gauge