1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 ga. load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 686, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686

686 TS Member

i have been using wsf 7/8 oz. in 20 ga, sts hulls but it does not fill the hull enugh with rp wads. i am trying win. wads but have to reajust the seater steam. i see alliant list a 3/4 oz. uaing american select and green dot. has any one used these two? how would they be for 7/8 oz ? han any one worked up a load with promo, or is it to hot ? i use american select in my 12 ga. loads and it would be nice to use only one powder.

2. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

12 and 20 gauge shells are 2 different creatures. When you attempt to find a happy medium for convenience, you will compromise in performance. The optimum burn rate for the 2 gauges are different, at least from my experience shooting skeet. Obviously the slower burning powders used for longer shots, such as Green Dot, differ from the powders we use for the 12 gauge skeet game. "One size fits all" IMO will not give you the results you seek. If you're going to take the time to reload and spend money on not only components and targets, do yourself a favor and load a powder designed specifically for what it is you want to do.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

American Select, Green Dot and Promo are not well suited for the 20ga. Powders like WSF, Unique, Herco, Universal Clays, 20/28, and many others, are more suitable.

4. 686

686 TS Member

i do understand what you are saying. i just saw on alliant web sight that they lidt american selest and green dot as recominded loads for 20 ga. with 3/4 oz load of shot. that is not a m,ade up load by me wanting to streem line my powder . knowing in reloading, you do twick loads a little from book listings. i am asking if going from there listing of 3/4 oz to 7/8 oz would that bu to heavy? before i changed to american select in my 12 ga loads i used green dot all the time. it works for skeet. i think the only differents in different powders loaded to give the same fps is a cleaner barrel or not. a dirty barrel can affect the speed of the next shots and i guess the perfomace of the wads in a dirty barrel. other than the dirty / clean barrel , i do not see any difference in 1200 fps from one powder and the next. will i will admit there is a difference in recoil with powers.

5. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

American Select and Green Dot powders are too fast for 7/8 oz 20 ga loads. Back when Green Dot was made by Hercules they listed a couple of Green Dot loads for 7/8 oz but to my knowledge Alliant has not. I think they would if it was practical and within safe limits to do so. Pressures can jump quickly when you add shot weight ahead of a powder that is fast for the gauge it is being used in. Stick to currently published loads to be safe and don't substitute components especially when working with a fast powder near the top of the pressure limit.

6. 686

686 TS Member

i except that not to use 7/8 with 3/4 oz. data. if you pull up alliant's web sight, under 20 go sts hulls 3/4 oz load you will see they list american select and green dot. if they list this i would think it would be safe.

7. 686

686 TS Member

EE read my last post. i excepted that you could not use 7/8 oz with 3/4 oz loading dats. i was just pointing out they do list american select and green dot for 3/4 oz loads. are you saying they are to hot for the 3/4 load?

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Your original question applied to 7/8 oz loads. That is a strong NO for BOTH powders. For lighter 3/4 oz loads, I would limit it to 1200 fps and use the EXACT components listed, especially the primers. The loads are probably safe enough EXACTLY AS LISTED, but we probably all know someone who just swaps whatever components and thinks they are good to go. I don't load anything much over 10,500 PSI in the 20 gauge for regular use. There's no need to...I have a 12ga if I want to send more shot out with each pull of the trigger.

9. 686

686 TS Member

i was thinking of trying unique. when i sat the other powder listed for 3/4 oz loads i was wondering if it could also be used for 7/8 oz loads. it seems that is would be to hot. i will try the unique. does any one use unique in 20 ga sts hulls rem wad? my wsf load does not fill the case enugh. thanks for every ones help.

10. capvan

capvan Active Member

686...I don't know about your computer, but mine puts a tiny row of red dots under any word that is mis-spelled. Might help if you noticed this and made changes to your spelling. Your posts are almost unreadable...

11. 686

686 TS Member

sorry about that CAPVAN .i guess it is like some one not speeking good english , but you do try to understand them and see what they want. have a good weekend.

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Unique should be a bulkier powder than the WSF. It should fill the hull better than the WSF with your components. Look at the loading data at the Alliant site and see what they recommend for loads. Herco is also a good powder in the 20 ga with 7/8 oz loads. They have a new powder, 20/28 that looks promising. I haven't used enough of it to form an opinion on it yet. Hodgdon has several powders that would worke well also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
20 ga loads with wsf
20ga reloads with wsf
20ga wsf powder data
american select 20 ga 1 ounce load data

reloads wsf powder 20 gauge

solving belled end problem on 20 ga reloads
wsf 20 ga loads
wsf powder for 20 gauge