1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 Ga event at Illinois State shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Patrick Haskins, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

A new challenge has been thrown out to shooters at the 2013 Illinois State Shoot. Drag out those 20 gauge shot guns and start practicing because there is some good money to be made for the winners. This exciting new event has been added to the Illinois State Shoot through the generosity of an anonymous donor. Prize money for this event totals $1,950.

A 50 bird, 20 gauge handicap derby will be held on Wednesday at the conclusion of event #6 event. This derby is non-registered and will be shot from the shooters ATA yardage using ammunition that meets ATA standards. Proceeds will be used to purchase shells for AIM shooters at the 2014 state shoot. The AIM program, its participants and coaches will play a huge part in the future of our sport and we are proud to support their efforts. Grab your 20 gauge and have some fun at the State Shoot.

Champion - $300
    Runner-up - $150
    Yardage group:
    First place - $150
    Second place - $100
    Third place - $50
    Yardage groups:
    18 – 19 yd.
    20 – 21 yd.
    22 – 23 yd.
    24 – 25 yd.
    26 – 27 yd.

A shooter may only win one prize, so if you win champion, you cannot take a yardage prize. All ATA rule will govern this event.

The cost of targets for this event will be $25. A limited amount of 20 gauge ammunition will be available in the shell house.

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

So is this event for true 20 ga guns or do tubed 12's get to play too?

3. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

4. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

5. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

I wondered that myself, but the event is being governed by ATA rules, so I believe that would eliminate the use of tubed guns, would it not?

G. GUNS AND AMMUNITION
    Any shooter violating any of these Rules shall be disqualified from competition in accordance with these Rules. Any such violator shall be referred to the Executive Committee for possible further disciplinary action.
    A contestant cannot use:
    1. A gun with a chamber larger than 12 gauge. Guns of smaller gauges are permissible in registered and tournament shooting, but no competitive consideration shall be given in recognition of that fact for handicap and classification purposes. A contestant may not use a gun capable of chambering more than one gauge of shells at the same time. For example, chambering 12 gauge and 20 gauge shells in the same gun at the same time is prohibited.

6. smoke-eater

smoke-eater Member

The way that I read this is that if you are using an 12g OU you will need a tube in each barrel, otherwise you would be illegal. With a single barrel, a 20g tube should not be a problem. Gary S.

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Good for them. It's about time we step outside the box.

This could be fun.

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I would imagine that the qualification is that you must use 20g. shells. Just guessing though.

9. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

The requirement is that 20 Ga only. If you tube your gun, that is fine. For safety reasons, O/U needs both tubes.
    Pat

10. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

11. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I think that's a great move. Sporting clays went to a more diverse offering years ago......20, 28, 410, SxS, Pumpgun.......all seperate events. Creates a lot of interest & a lot of entries, plus it gives shooters something to do while they are waiting for their next event.

12. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

The donor wanted to do something that would promote the State shoot and allow folks to have fun as well. I can't wait to see what the response will be.

13. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Then try the 16ga. more fun and better shooten. Bill

14. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

Not many people have 16 ga guns, but it seems everyone has a 20 ga.

15. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

16. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

17. Target13

Target13 Active Member

Absolutely a great idea to have this 20 Gauge event at the Illinois State Shoot. You need to contact Cliff Moller at Briley and Jeff Mainland @ Kolar to see if they would like to participate and have tubed guns available. Briley has a convenient 20 Gauge drop in set of tubes that would be perfect for the event.
    For the past five years, we have pushed the non-registered 28 Gauge Trap event at the Grand American and it has sold out each year with over 300 competitors. This year at Sparta, the 28 Gauge event is also planned. I know the PITA Grand Pacific hosts a Small Gauge Trap day out in Washington during that event and it too is very successful.

I sincerely believe that ATA and the other trap venues should take a close look at what Small Gauge Shooting could bring to their shooters. By adding events with small gauges, you are opening up the sport to others and I can assure you that one, Sporting Clays has prospered with the addition of small gauge events. Why not consider registering Small Gauge events ?? If you get just one shooter to participate that is one more than you had initially. The opportunity of shooters crossing over from the other clay target sports that already shoot small gauge - wow, this would sure lead to more targets being thrown !!

WE need to try different things - step out of the box. Think of all the older shooters that gave up 12 gauge shooting because of recoil - what if they had 20 Gauge events to participate in ?? The ammunition and gun technology is already there. Most importantly, Small gauge would be fun and could change the face of trap to where there were 4 different gauges shot at a shoot (410;28;20 and 12 gauges). I can hear a few of you now - we don't want to be like skeet. Why not ?? If it is fun and people want to do it and it brings in a whole new generation of shooters and offers gun clubs another venue to make money, it seems a no-brainer to me !! Unfortunately, changes in our clay target sports have been slow to materialize, but we need to try different things. The generation of shooters out there now is completely different from when I started shooting in the 1950's. Hence, I would hope that the EC members of the various Trap organizations would consider for 2014 some sort of pilot Small Gauge events that personally I would help them develop and bring in sponsors to fund it. Unless you try something , you never know and I along with a couple others in the Industry, would put this together; bring in sponsorship at no cost to the specific associations.

I'll be at the Illinois Shoot and look forward to participation in the 20 Gauge event - great thinking there for your State Shoot !!

Phil Murray

18. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

Phil,
    Thanks for your comments and look forward to seeing you at the State shoot.
    Pat

19. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

20. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member