1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 GA. COYOTE MEDICINE?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by birdogs, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

When I bird hunted with my 12 Ga. I usually carried a couple of slugs. Now I am using my 20 Ga. almost exclusively. With the rise in the coyote population, I was wondering if there is a 20 Ga. buckshot or slug load I could make up to keep the dogs safe. I would guess that buckshot would probably be better but either would give me a more secure feeling.

Thanks.

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Boy I remember hunting a few years ago in a small valley in New Brunswick with Alder, my best ever Brittanie. We could hear coyotes calling and barking all around and they were'nt leaving just because we were shooting birds. We did keep the little guy very close. In NB you will be arrested for having slugs on your person during bird season prior to deer opening. For quite a few years now the best woodcock movement has been during the first 3 weeks of deer season and of course that creates a whole different set of issues especially now with a fast white setter.

3. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I left my deer stand while checking camera and had coyotes yipping my trail---It was out of season and no carry law---From now on I carry---

4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

What about 20 Ga. bucjkshot loads? I don't want to shoot at Coyotes, only protest my dogs if they get agressive. How do you make up such a load?

I just saw a program on National Geographic Wild which showed that eastern coyotes are considerably larger that the western kind since ALL the eastern kind have wolf genes. They often weigh in at 70 lbs where a western coyote is about 35 lbs.

Not 2 miles from my home in suburban NJ, a Coyote grabbed a baby by the head and started dragging the child off. The child's 5 year old sibling chased it off with some difficulty.

Semper Paratus!

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Bird shot will get their attention and fast. It will also give you time to reload with buckshot. 20ga can and will kill a coyote. Just hit him in the head or mid section.

6. Bob Hawkes

I guess that I will think that through long and hard, because the coyote's are out there. And to Birdogs, you are certainly correct. I can't believe the size of some of the coyote's I've seen in New Brunswick. If you want to talk wolves that's a whole nother story, and yes I've seen one. Birdogs, you just tickled my memory. Several years ago I'm driving through a two year old clear cut on the way to a little patch of good woodcock cover I'd found with about 40 yards open to my right. The most beautiful gorgeous dog came out of the woods while I was going very slow because of the road I was on, I stopped and started talking to her because the windows were down and she's listening and paying attention. All of a sudden the light went on between my ears and said holy crap, she's got no collar and I don't think she's from the area. She had to be reading my mind, she stopped coming to me, gave me a strange look and turned on a dime bounding of into the woods as ably as any deer you've ever seen. What a large healthy coyote she was.

7. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

The coyotes in this area are tough as nails. While turkey hunting a few years ago, I called a big male within 30 yards of us. I hit him in the head with 2oz of number 5's from a Winchester 1300 with a TIGHT turkey choke, and he came after my cousin and me. I shot him again at about 10 yards (saw blood and fur roll) shot him a third time at about 5 yards, he hit the ground, but was still moving. My cousin (about 11 at time)couldn't move he was so scared.

Smokey

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I like number 4 buckshot. BB's work well on our coyotes here in KS also as they are of the smaller variety you speak of. I have hit them up to three times with 4's and they made it out of sight. But generally by third shot there is considerable distance involved for shotgunning. The load I use hasn't been in print for awhile. Its a difficult load to make work as an 1 1/8oz of shot is stuffed in the case. I would think that any one ouncer would work well though. Occasionally I have seen what I call a Lobo but they are rare. One however will usually go in the 60lb range. I've killed a few coyotes over the years while bird hunting but as stated, most will run. You have to be fast to get em. Never had any that were aggresive.

I always carry atleast two buckshot loads for the vary reason you speak. However, most of the continental breeds I've ran have been capable of handling the average coyote. A shorthair we had when I was a kid actually hunted them if he caught their wind. Whipped two that I can recall but he was a big boy.

9. Bob Hawkes

That's a good one Pheasantmaster. My problem in NB is the legality of carrying anything that can be used on deer. Some of the Rangers aren't the brightest bulb in the circuit. I think some of them would love to catch me doing something if they could. They know who you are and where you're hunting and they do watch you.

10. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I am still lookling for specific loading information on a 20 Ga. buckshot load.

11. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Let me prime the pump. I load with Green Dot. Could I use this powder for buckshot and, if so, how much and hom much lead?

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Just put a load of birdshot into them and they will be gone - thats what you want right? Who cares if you put them down on the spot, and like another guy said, by the time you fish out your magic coyote loads and switch over, the coyote will be out of range anyway. If they are actually close enough to cause a problem your regular old birdshot round will knock the crap out of them.

If you really gotta have some buck loads, just go buy a couple of 5 packs.

13. d endicott

d endicott Member

go to wally world and buy slugs for $6.00

14. Pete3

Pete3 TS Member

I hunt with friends who use walker foxhounds to hunt coyote.
    Some coyotes are shot with rifles, some with shotguns....depending on the situation.
    When a shotgun is called for(when coyote starts to make smallish circles in thick cover)My shotgun of choice is a Belgian Auto 5 in "Magnum Twenty".I use 3 inch # 3 buck...I would like to find factory # 4 buck, but no one seems to make it in 20 ga.
    Pete Giddings-- Canada

15. Trussman2

Trussman2 Active Member

If it were me.....I'd find some hevi shot in 4s if possible, but 6s will put a coyote down easily.....and would be legal to carry....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

20 ga coyote buckshot loads

20 ga coyote load

20 ga for coyote

coyote au 20 ga