1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 ga. "big bore"

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jakearoo, Jun 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

20 ga.

I have an 11 year old who is getting pretty good with a shotgun. He has been shooting an 1100 youth but has asked about shooting an O/U. I recently aquired a Perazzi comp.1 with a short set of barrels. It is a light little thing. I can cut down a stock for it but I want him to shoot light loads for another year or so. I wonder if it is possible to have Briley or someone put in short 20 ga. tubes and shoot 2.5 dram 7/8 oz. 20 ga. loads through the 12 bore. I don't want full length tubes because of the weight. I mean, isn't that essentially what the 12 ga. big bores are, a 12 through a 10 bore? Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome. Jake

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    20 ga.

Well, the overbored 12ga guns are approaching or in some cases are at 10ga bore dimensions. But.... this is only possible because some modern plastic 12ga wads can expand their base and seal the bore. I'm not aware of any 20ga wads which have bases that can expand to 12ga dimensions.

3. Harold

Harold TS Member

20 ga.

Browning makes something like that called the Little Skeeter. I don't know how well it works.

4. dhockett

dhockett TS Member

20 ga.

Never tried these things but its a place to start.
    Dave H

5. dhockett

dhockett TS Member

20 ga.

Sorry... www.seminolegun.com

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

20 ga.

I shot a short 20 ga. tube in my K-80 34" top single. It worked just fine on trap targets. No problems with patterns or velocity, the wads sealed just fine. Only problem was the cheap shells like to stick in the tube, AAs or STSs work fine.

Also used them in my skeet O/U barrel to reduce weight instead of using full length tube set. Fired many thousands of shells with no problems, and the 12 ga screw in chokes adjusted the pattern. Tubes were made out of aluminum on a lathe. HMB

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

20 ga.

jakeroo, Little Skeeters are only useful if you are going to shoot a couple shells, as in hunting. Definitely not for trap. The Seminole tubes at least eject. Patterns are OK.

However, I still don't see the point. If you reload, you can easily load a 12 ga down to 20 ga levels, or lower. If you don't, you can purchase low recoil loads from Winchester, Fiocchi and Remington. That makes more sense to me than converting the chamber to shoot smaller shells and putting up with the compromises.

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

20 ga.

Dito...

Stay away from the little skeeters...

Dirty, and many have problems removing spent hulls.

They do pattern well in the 20, but not worth the additional effort.

The Chamber Mates work well and have extrators...

9. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

20 ga.

Hmm. ZZT, I do not reload. Used to many years ago but truth is, I no longer have the time (or honestly, the inclination). I can never find those ultra light 12 ga. shells. I know they are out there but they don't have them at our local clubs or stores. Maybe I should ask our local componants and shells guy to get me 20 flats of them when he makes his next order. If I go that route, which of them are the best/reasonably priced?
    Finally, has someone shot the seminole tubes extensively? Do they install right "out of the box" with no fitting? Thanks All for the Help, Jake

10. rosies dad

rosies dad Member

20 ga.

I have a set of those seminole 20ga inserts, the ejectors work great IF you use AA or STS only. Stay away from cheap alum/steel base hulls.
    Its amazing how a 20ga can still pattern tighter with some choke in a 12ga barrel.
    Do they pattern as good as 12ga- NO, probably not. Are they good enough to have fun with- you bet. I shoot some sporting clays with mine, and some skeet.
    As long as I stay away from steel base hulls, they work great.

11. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

20 ga.

jakearoo....If you have the ability to reload, why not consider down loading some 12ga shells to just above sub-sonic, no recoil and not much noise.... Start somewhere between 13.5 and 15 grains of WST and 0ne ounce of shot, this a very soft load, out of a break open for a youth....This is better than shooting inexpensive 20 ga loads out of a feather light 12 ga, the recoil is still just like that of a feather light 20 ga no matter what you do to it but a 12 ga has so much more versatility when it come to reloading components than a 20.... Save the money that you would spend on 20 ga tubes and work up some good, just above sub-sonic loads....The youth will enjoy it and as he becomes accustomed to the 12 ga and over time you can increase the loads and soon he will be shooting full loads.

12. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

20 ga.

jakearoo, maclellan1911 gave you the correct order numbers for the Remington reduced recoil loads. The Winchester Featherlites are subsonic and throw a very tight pattern. I think the Fiocchi reduced recoil shell kicks more than it should. That leaves Remington which I like a lot. The are only available in the STS line, which means they are premium but expensive. However, you can easily sell the once-fired hulls for 2 or 3 cents each to defray the cost. You may even be able to get more for them.

If you elect to go with the 20 ga and have trouble obtaining the reduced recoil loads, Remington makes STS20LR shells that throw 7/8oz @ 1135fps. They are truly awesome. I have them in 8s and 9s, but the Remington 2007 list shows them only available in 9s. Even so, that's plenty good enough for singles and 20yd caps.

13. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

20 ga.

Have 12ga=20ga Little Skeeters for sale. They work, BUT, shells are VERY important. Reloads or cheap shells cause a lot of headaches. If you shoot to many shell, the insert makes it difficult to remove the spent hull. There is no extractor on them.

Have 12ga=20ga Seminole Chamber mates which are NOT for sale. They are a CNC machined aluminum insert with an O ring to seal the chamber. A 20ga extractor is built into the side of the insert and pulled up by the 12ga extractor of your gun. I have used both cheap and good shell in the Chamber Mates including reloads. While I found the STS and AA easier to extract, the cheaper 20 ga came out with minimal problem. Little recoil at all. I didn't check the pattern but enjoyed the crushed rocks. Better Choice!

My first choice would be a 12ga gun with 7/8 wads (PINK from Downrange) and have seen kids shoot well with them. Later when the child grows, you just change the shell and a thicker butt pad or add spacers. If you don't have a reloader, find someone at your club who reloads for skeet where 7/8 oz loads can be quite common. Have them load you a couple of boxes to try. Veteran reloaders and shooters can be very generous when they know it is for a young shooter. Try them and see if you like them. Later your shooter can graduate to 1oz loads when ready. Consider getting a single stage Mec press from a club member and have them teach them how to load their own shells. I feel that a young shooter who reloads their own shells has a slight advantage over non reloaders. Good movies, bushing charts, and manuals can be found at http://www.mecreloaders.com . Email me directly if you would like to.

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

20 ga.

What Rosie's dad said, regarding the Seminole Chamber Mates.

I use them for skeet all the time. Great product.

I agree, however, with zzt. You're probably better off finding low recoil 12 gauge loads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

removing perazzi comp i extractor

what bore for 20ga in skeet