1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 Ga. AA

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by birdogs, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have been reloadibng 20 ga. AA for hunting for a couple of years. When I started to load some yesterday, I noticed that the metal base had split on several hulls. When I looked further, I discovered that almost 50% of the bases on the empties had split! The bases were brass or brass washed in these hulls, not the newer steel bases which I have not yet reloaded.

These hulls have been reloaded about twice. They have not been resized. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. Snowjet

Snowjet Member

I've reloaded 20ga aa for 30 yrs, some of them 10-12 times. Can't remember having one do that.
    Bob

3. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

That's why I am asking. I have never seen it happen before either.

4. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

I've seen this happen to the new 28ga HS brass, just this past summer. Friend of mine had about 1/2 of every box he shot had split. Winchester's quality control is little lacking.

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Birddog, I've never heard of this happing in the 20 ga. Yes, I too have seen some split hulls in the 28 and 410 bores with the Winchesters as well. More so with the older Compression formed, not as much with the newer HS hulls. Back to your 20 problem, Maybe you have a larger than normal chamber in your 20 gun??? Add to the fact that you do not resize these hulls and bingo the hulls split up the side. Try resizing and see if your number of split hulls diminish??? Best of Luck and break em all Jeff

6. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Through the years there have been production runs of AA CF 20 gauge that had brittle brass. There were some lots that some of the new shells had split brass. More would split on the first reload. Usually if they made it through the first reload few would split there after. I have not had this problem with the HS 20 gauge hulls.

An over-sized chamber would exacerbate the problem as the brass may be expanding past its point of elasticity.

Michael

7. rlmims

rlmims TS Member

birdogs, The last I shot factory 20 AA was the one oz load. I had these abour five years & wanted to shoot up all my fact loads. Of the three boxes I had 12 of the bases were cracked and they had not even been shot. These are factory loads never been fired. I quit buying AAs.

Lynn Mims

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Problem is a chamber that is too big. HMB

9. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Expanding brass shell heads through the shooting process and contracting them during resizing may be causing the metal to work harden cuasing them to split.

Brass head spliting was common on the old compression formed extra low base 12 gauge hulls (skeet loads) and somewhat common on the standard low base hulls. I found the shells shot through my 870 seemed to spilt more than when shot through my Perazzi.

I have several thousand once fired compression formed 12 gauge hulls that are thirty or so years old. Every once and a while I grab a few hundred to reload only to find a number of them have split brass.

You might call Winchester and ask what may be causing your problem.

Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.