1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20 Ga AA hulls buckling. Help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I am having trouble with the AA hulls buckling or getting a ring around the hulls just above the brass. I had this problem on my Mec Grabber so set up a Hornady 366 Auto and have the same problem. I'm using 20/28 powder and 7/8th Claybuster wads. I might get five reloads with no apparent problem then the next five will either buckle or the ring around. I have tried three different powders and had the same results. Suggestions/help. Jackie B.

2. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Jack, does this happen on the 5th station or 6th? Either one, you will have to raise one or both. I am assuming you are loading Winchester HS 20's.

3. Skeetbender

Skeetbender Active Member

Try more wad pressure, if that does not help you may have to back off on your your crimp a little with that combo.

4. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

Your component stack height is too tall. Look for a shorter wad. I use the orange duster wad (now made by Downrange) with no problem. I hear Windjammer has a 20 ga. wad that also is a tad shorter. I had a similar problem with the 12 ga. AAHS and switched to the Downrange DRA12 wad, which also is shorter, and the problem went away.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Reduce the amount of shot. HMB

6. Duck 51

Duck 51 Member

Could it be that the Claybuster wads are too straight for the HS hull? I found that to be true with the new AA 12 gauge hulls. I went to Winchester wads and had no more problems after that.

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Play with the crimp starter, both up and down. If that doesn't work, try a different wad.

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

The problem actually starts on station 5 and will try to raise it a hair and add a little wad pressure and see if it works. Thanks a lot for your help. Jackie B.

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Hornady 366 crimp dies (loaders that predate the new hulls) have a .003" taper, and that will wrinkle the hull every time.

Call hornady, tell them, they'll ship you a new crimp die and your problem will be solved.

and they'll probably give you the die.

10. fly

fly Active Member

make sure all wads are the same and you aren't getting others mixed in by accident. Double check this first before making big changes. This is true for the hulls also, AA vs. HS

11. Clayjcg

Clayjcg TS Member

I had this same problem using the same recipe. Adjusted the wad pressure and raised the crimp die just a touch. Problem solved.